Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab in Lower mainland to test black bear for trich?

Lab in Lower mainland to test black bear for trich?

Could you guys help me finding a lab in the lower mainland to test black bear for trich?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lab in Lower mainland to test black bear for trich?

Check the "Wild Game Recipies" section... there's a recent thread in there.

I'm not sure what the point of testing is though. Trich is very common in bears. I don't think the test is 100% accurate and there is a variety of other parasites that could be present. It's not like if the test for trich is negative that it's safe to eat undercooked bear meat.

Cook until the internal temperature is 165. At that point, trich worms/cysts become bonus protien!!! Don't worry whether or not it has trich... it probably does!! Enjoy and congrats on the bear

It would be cheaper to buy a microscope and freeze and slice off a super thin layer and light it up and look at it. Some times a sugar cube size chunk has as many as 300 calcium cysts in it. The cysts contain the egg or worm.
    Why the test? Just cook it to 165 degrees and it is good to eat.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I called around last year and no, provincial government does not test it any more.
    We took the meat to commercial freezer, where it was for over 7 months at -25C. We still cook the meet anyway.
    Better safe then sorry.

Just cook it and don't look back, too many guys are over-thinking things. There was a time when commercial pork had a higher risk of tric and people still ate it. I've taken bears in the morning and eaten the tenderloins that day for dinner, no issue!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    Just cook it and don't look back, too many guys are over-thinking things. There was a time when commercial pork had a higher risk of tric and people still ate it. I've taken bears in the morning and eaten the tenderloins that day for dinner, no issue!

We we always thought it was "mad cow" that inflicted you - now we realize it was "mad bear" - everything is clear now....
    One rifle - one planet - Holland's 375.

People are like balls of yarn, for the most part they are boring and useless - but I still get a lot of pleasure watching them unravel!! (GC)

Gods own country

Fully agree. A large percentage of ground beef has e-coli and chicken has salmonella. I wouldn't pay to get my ground beef tested when all I need to do to avoid getting sick is to cook it and maybe wash my hands ;-P

No point for anyone to go and pay for testing stuff or getting too excited about trich at all. It's is just one of dozens of things that a bear is likely to carry. Tape worms are extremely common as well. You can usually find tapeworm segments in bear scat. I'd be suspicious of a bear that wasn't hosting a variety of critters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger95 View Post
    We we always thought it was "mad cow" that inflicted you - now we realize it was "mad bear" - everything is clear now....
    Both are better than "Mad Mod" with all those options huh?
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I plan on shooting mine tomorrow, he'll be in my belly as soon as he's in sausage/pepperoni form I think if I was worried enough to consider testing a bear I probably wouldn't shoot a bear to begin with.

Exactly, Fire up the bbq and enjoy! Bear is some of the best table fare out there. But hey I also drink water out of the creek too!