Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indian River road

Re: Indian River road

You can't get to the pass... too much snow.

Was up there sledding 2 weeks ago and we offloaded just past upper water intake, where the powerlines first cross the road.

Couple more weeks at least... the snowpack is incredibly deep this year.

Good to know, thanks.

Mods close this racist thread how dare they name a rd Indian River totally unacceptable!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    LEH synopsis page 6, hunt # 2104 it says "Indian reserves are private property"
    OF course they are - RJ

For those who haven't been down the road lately, the last 10 km ( may be 6km) is posted as no trespassing by the first nations band that has traditional rights to the land.

Quote Originally Posted by high and to the right View Post
    For those who haven't been down the road lately, the last 10 km ( may be 6km) is posted as no trespassing by the first nations band that has traditional rights to the land.
    but is it IR?

It may be posted but this provincial government topo map from GeoBC shows the boundary...seems to me its the west side of the river at the top of the inlet...isnt the road on the east side there? That would indicate the road is not IR.
    My understanding is that they do own the wharf on the east side, but that is from their logging operation.
    http://pub.data.gov.bc.ca/datasets/1...2G/092G046.pdf

edit update: if you zoom in there is a very small block on the east side
    Last edited by steve-r; 05-30-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Indian river was one of my favorite spots to fish and hunt in the late 70's- early 80's. I used to drive my 68 Bronco up the Stawamus main, over the summit, and follow the power lines down the valley to the head of Indian Arm. A logging camp was located just above tide water. Fishing was good at times, the main run being pink salmon in September followed by small runs of native coho, a few chinook and lastly chums in late fall. WE also caught sea run cutthroat trout in fall and some native steelhead in the spring when we travelled up the arm by boat and rode mountain bikes up the logging road to the falls and fished our way back to the tide water. When the loggers quit working up there we seldom ever saw any body else up there. Some squatters moved into the logging camp and killed a lot of the black bears for their gall bladders. A couple of D.F.O. fisheries wardens used to go up there to count fish and they also built a private A- frame cabin across the river above the twin bridges, but it got burnt down. A small fish hatchery operated for a few seasons just below the twin bridges but shut down when D.F.O. cut funding it. We only saw Natives from Capilano fishing up there for Pinks a couple of times. Other than that, nobody but the odd adventurous sports fisherman. The road in and out was rough, steep and rugged and 4wd was essential. Many trucks still broke down back there. One guy from Squamish had a new 3/4 ton and and a big camper on it. His tranny packed it in up at Norton Lake and he had to get a deuce and a half recovery truck to drive in from Squamish to tow him out. Ka-ching - Ka-ching! Some nice trout were caught in Norton Lake back then but it got fished out pretty fast. There are some other nice alpine lakes to hike into up there but it's serious hiking. Blacktail deer were pretty common back there but nothing very big. I shot my first blacktail buck up in the Meslilooet valley. Shake bolt cutters used to work up there and haul cedar blocks out to Squamish over that rough, sketchy road. They must have been drunk! Never heard anything about that valley being reserve or native land back then and we never saw any elk sign there but we did see elk tracks in the upper Pitt river below the canyon where the hot springs are.

The elk were implemented in the Valley long after that Max.
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

We went up the Indian 2 days ago and got turned around at 8km by 1.5' - 2' of snow. Got out and hiked for a bit but were postholing and didn't look like it was going to ease up anytime soon. A couple more weeks.