Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting moose in 6-20.

Hunting moose in 6-20.

Hi fellow hunters on this Canada day, As my son and I have had no luck in the leh draws I say to myself that we will have to go to were the moose are open and 6-20 -21-22-24 seems like a far off place to go but as I am disabled and don't no if my doc will say don't go I have to do this with my son before I can no longer as I really want to be there to see him get a first moose as I was for his first Island buck, it is just something I want to be there for. I would like to find some info about any of these areas as to camp sites ,fishing in the lakes and any info as to the best time to go as to the rut and to call. I have ordered the back road maps of this area as The farthest I have been is to Terrace for a wedding years ago. So any info would be greatly appreciated as to were and when to hunt moose in these far off places.Also would it be wise to invest in one of those electric boundry fences as I have heard that there is lots of grizzlies in these areas, Thanks to all for any info that I receive don't want your honey hole places just inpute on where and how, Happy Canada week to all and may the lead you shoot find the target. Cheers, Chuck an Justin B from the Island.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting moose in 6-20.

Have to ask to what level you are disabled. Not to discurage yourself. I have personally witnessed many folks with disabilities vastly over come what many able body folks couldn't. My point is more so that the MUs you are asking about can be very unforgiving at the best of times. I have grown up in the area, most lakes and streams have good fishing, the water is drinkable and the landscape is beautiful but unforgiving. Moose can be big but natives not so friendly. Depending on your abilities the closest medical facility is terrace, 4-5hours away. Just something to think about. I wouldn't recommend the area to newbie or begging Hunter's or new to outdoors people.

I apologise if I may have offended you, not what I am trying to do. The area is beautiful but I must stress it is not easy to access and is very rugged. Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or if there is anything I can help with.

I'd avoid that area myself[for some reasons as above post mentions]. Maybe 6-4 between Francois and Ootsa Lake when the bulls are open in october...or better yet 7B in August for any bull moose openings.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    I'd avoid that area myself[for some reasons as above post mentions]. Maybe 6-4 between Francois and Ootsa Lake when the bulls are open in october...or better yet 7B in August for any bull moose openings.
    That would be my first choice. Lots of road hunting opportunities. Oct. 20 to 26.
    Preferably get there at least a couple days early & scout for fresh signs especially in swampy areas/creeks with sunny side hills. Once found set up camp & hunt hard especially early in the morning. Been there done that.

Used to take a ferry across Francois Lake.

Important! Be prepared for extreme cold.

The area is heavily hunted in the 7 days.
    Never had bear problems in the area.

Also hunted from Terrace to Dease along the scenic #37 highway but the fresh signs were few & far between.
    Last edited by mpotzold; 07-01-2017 at 09:53 PM.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

You can avoid the road hunters by hunting the lakes, and there are a lot of them in that area. I can think of at least a half dozen that would be good just along the Holy Cross FSR.

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    That would be my first choice. Lots of road hunting opportunities. Oct. 20 to 26.
    Preferably get there at least a couple days early & scout for fresh signs especially in swampy areas/creeks with sunny side hills. Once found set up camp & hunt hard especially early in the morning. Been there done that.

Used to take a ferry across Francois Lake.

Important! Be prepared for extreme cold.

The area is heavily hunted in the 7 days.
    Never had bear problems in the area.

Also hunted from Terrace to Dease along the scenic #37 highway but the fresh signs were few & far between.
    Maybe things have changed.This is from a 15 years ago hunt. LT(LOVER 308 ) & I only saw 1 cow moose in the 4 or 5 days. Not too many side roads & most become impassable quickly.
    Plenty of bear signs especially in the garbage collection areas.
    Talked to a road crew repairing a bridge just south of Dease & they never saw any moose while commuting.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Thanks to all for the helpful info , I am changing my mind about Dease Lake and I am going to try 6-09 or 6-04 around Burns Lake so any info in this area would be great never hunted moose in October so this could be a good challenge , also what lakes are good for fishing and what type of fish? I will be bringing a 10 ft aluminum boat with an electric motor. I apologize for the mix up as I just don't want to run into any problems up in Dease l as its a long ways to go if shit hits the fan if you no what I mean. Cheers and thanks to all. Chuck N Justin B..

Most of the lakes will have trout. A lot of the bigger ones will have char and Ling cod too.

Thanks HappyJack, I didn't no that there is fresh water ling cod . Do worms and spinners work in these lakes?

Thanks for the input Mpotzold.