Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Biggest 3 -D Shoot On Vancouver Island

Bow Walker Guest

Unhappy Re: The Biggest 3 -D Shoot On Vancouver Island

Believe me - I'd be there if it were possible......

Re: The Biggest 3 -D Shoot On Vancouver Island

Hi to all you guys that missed the shoot today, was a great shoot, 9 out of 10 i would say, the shots were all very good placment, if your planning being there on sunday you better get there early, shoot will start at 8am meeting then shooting at 8:30am, see you there, and many prizes too,, good stuff.. later i'm going to shoot again on sunday, so much fun.. later,,,,,,

Well it's all over but the crying, I'm crying cause I didn't even place, but in MBO Nathan Block from Big Shot Archery, { some of our new targets } went home to Coaldale Alberta with the gold and his sister { also Big Shot Archery } went home with the FBO gold. I shot with them on Sunday, they both sure are good shooters and very nice people to shoot and talk to. they said they would be back next year to our shoot with more people
    Jim Hatch {PSE/ AR , Browning rep }had a good time, people at his booth all day { cause of the walk on start Sat }also wanted to see and shoot the rocket ship, PSE X - FORCE.
    Chad { Primo's rep } had a great time and Scott from Bowzone/Wild TV had a great time and even did some filming.
    We had 126 shooters and 100 of them stayed for diner.Stuffed themselfs silly, moose,elk,sweet and sour pork,BBQ salmon, fresh made diner rolls, all kinds of salads, homemade cheese cakes, lemon tarts cookies , and other goodies.
    I heard nothing but good about the course lay out,it was a very challanging course to judge the distance and shoot and lots of cool scenes at each target.Draw prizes,draw prizes, draw prizes, and more draw prizes, five tables full and then some.
    An overall very sucseful shoot. And a great time was had by all.
    New 2011 PSE Omen Pro
    56/29 340 fps
    VICTORY ARROWS

Bow Walker Guest

I spoke with my bro' regarding the shoot. He collaborates what Bill has said - nothing but good to say about it.

Oh yes, very challenging, he said, but in a good way. The scenes and shots were as advertised - both well laid out and realistic. The much feared "Hell Hole" was somewhat tamed by a lot of hard work and sweat. Someone had put in some more steps and fixed the inclines. It was still a hill, but at least it was manageable and at most it made for some interesting shots.

Personally I have only one complaint. I couldn't make the event Now I have to wait for next year.

Congratulations to the Cowichan Bowmen Club and to the "Ladies". All of whom can be proud of the successful event.

The only thing I'm disappointed about is the X -bow class, there was only 2 people, yes only 2. It was a chance to make a bit of a statement for x - bows and only 2 people shot. Where were all the other ones that always go on about x - bows aren't allowed at shoots, here was your chance, you had lots of notice, posters were all over the province, even Alberta. The 2 shooters were locals that used to shoot longbow and compound at 3 - d's and hunt, but now are unable to pull the bow any more so they shoot x - bows and thought it was great to be able to shoot at a 3 - D again and had a great time. I didn't get their scores but I will try to find out. There was no waiting for them to shoot, they shot faster than most other shooters and it was no harder on the targets than some of us that shoot the fast arrows or heavy weights.Maybe next year.
    New 2011 PSE Omen Pro
    56/29 340 fps
    VICTORY ARROWS

The cowichan bowmen shoot was the best I have ever been to. Looks like they put a million hours into the shoot and for all you guys and gals that didn't com better get out there next year because I heard a rumor that it is going to be even bigger with 2 different coarses and a bigger prize table as well. I don't know how it could be any bigger. So you mainlanders should get your bow up and running and get over here next year and try the Hell Hole.

Hey all . I would like to go , But with some health and age problems I have been told it would be out of the question . Perhapes some of the decline in partisipation is due to the "Hell Hole " designation .
    Several mainland clubs that were known for challenging terrain have modified their courses to a moderate level in order to encourage youngsters and maintain those older archers . By the way these courses were still as challenging with their "signature shots" before the changes.
    One of the best attended 3-d shoots in the Prov was Merritt . Due to the extreme nature of the course attendence has dropped drastically to the extent that if they don`t smarten up and modify the course this event may be compromised .
    The past two years TBBC Championships were successfully designed to accommodate wheeled access .
    I fully realize the effort and pride involved in setting up a challenging course but we lose sight of the aims of a good course .
    One of the younger workers on the Merrit shoot was proud that his course was a realistic hunting senario and rightly so , but more and more of us can do without the "Mtn Goat" aspects .
    I hope more of the clubs with extreme terrain courses take the initiatve to redesign their courses in order to gain and maintain the new and older archers .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Well I don't know what kind of a 3 - D SHOOT you would like.
    We had an older fellow{ 65 ish }shot both days, and he had not long had knee surgery and said he had no problem and his knee was doing just fine.One of our oldest members { 76 } had a triple by pass just over a year ago and he shot both days and said the course was just fine with him. I shot with 2 guys and their sons {7 - 9 } from Vancouver and neither kid complained about the course. 4 -5 younger girls { 7 - 12 } shot both days, no complaints. Maybe we need to make it golf course style and we could drive around in our golf carts, LOLOL
    When you hunt is the area nice and flat and easy walking? Do you moose hunt or elk hunt?
    We try to make the course as user friendly as possable with steps dug in most of the hills to make going up and down as easy as could be, as Bowwalker said { he has shot it } it was tamed to what it used to be.
    Sorry we can't please everyone.
    New 2011 PSE Omen Pro
    56/29 340 fps
    VICTORY ARROWS

OK Eagle 1 , It was very evident why the Merritt shoot attendance dropped . Why did yours ?
    You mentioned the challenged archers that attended (good on them) but what about those such as myself who did not attend .
    Yes I Moose and Elk hunt(To the best of my ability) . I have set up and done 3-d courses for over 23 years , with considerable success and know what consists of a good course . I also am aware of the "you can`t please everybody" thing .
    This is ment to be constructive critisim and in no way takes away from your clubs efforts .
    It sounds like the course was tamed a little . The course sounds great and I will try to be there next year .....
    Cheers

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --
    Last edited by greybark; 06-06-2007 at 08:09 PM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Constructive critissim taken. I've been doing archery and 3 - D courses for 35 years. We used to make all our own 3 - D targets, comercial ones were unavalable yet.
    Our attendance didn't drop it grew, it was one of the biggest shoots on the Island with a million draw prizes.
    What about you? sorry you didn't make it, don't know what you missed, hope you can next year.
    New 2011 PSE Omen Pro
    56/29 340 fps
    VICTORY ARROWS