Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Breeding your female

Re: Breeding your female

So who or how would you do a study on cross breed dogs . most studies have a agenda so who would want to prove crossbreeds are healthier . but are not a lot of the hip ,knee and eye troubles . caused by interbreeding of purebreds ?
    Better a sister in a w#ore house....then a brother with a mathews .

I don't see anything wrong with cross breeding dogs---all dogs were cross bred at one time.

To set the record straight, I didn't intend this thread to be a purebred vs mixed breed argument, kinda like Chevy, dodge, or ford of the dog world.

Im not Anti-purebred, or Pro mixed.....I'm for whatever meets my needs, and at this juncture in life and for what I want my dog to do, I can get the desired results from a mixed breed.

i was more looking for experiences in changes with the females disposition and working drive before and after a litter, which some people were able to state their experiences......and that was very much appreciated.......now others turned this into a ford, Chevy, dodge debate and basically said you're a idiot and morally and unethical bottom feeder to even consider mixed breeding....I think Adolf Hitler shared those same views.......now if you think that ignoring advice that is clearly biased and fundamentally flawed(not to mention unsolicited) is the wrong thing to do then I'm sorry, you'll always be a follower. I'm sure the original breeders or Australian cattle dogs and labradoodles don't share the elitist attitude!!

now one member suggested that if the end goal is to breed her, then what about getting the health checks done!!!! Now that's a constructive thought that makes sense!
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    I have a female choco lab/springer 50/50 cross! Labradinger
    I picked this breed because I thought it would be a great shed hunting dog!

i gave her 2 years to settle down and her hips and elbows to mature before running her too hard! Since her 2nd birthday in February she has really flourished with her she'd hunting! quite amazing to watch!

i would like to get a second dog, so I'm faced with either buying a male or breeding her with someone else's male and keeping a puppy.

can someone educate me on the pro's and con's on each...will she be the same after a litter?

Thanks

Jeff

I don't think that breeding your b!tch will change her temperate / personality - if anything it will make her a better dog.

my dog is a heeler, I got him from a member on here. No fancy papers but he is a great dog, does everything I wanted and more.

Papers and breeding don't make dogs, training, handling and tons of love make a dog!
    Last edited by Ranger95; 05-18-2015 at 01:43 PM.
    One rifle - one planet - Holland's 375.

People are like balls of yarn, for the most part they are boring and useless - but I still get a lot of pleasure watching them unravel!! (GC)

Gods own country

Quote Originally Posted by hardnocks View Post
    So who or how would you do a study on cross breed dogs . most studies have a agenda so who would want to prove crossbreeds are healthier . but are not a lot of the hip ,knee and eye troubles . caused by interbreeding of purebreds ?
    Fact- you take a PB lab that is untested and cross it with a PB German Shepherd that is untested and both those dogs carry genetic defects and problems that are common to the breed. The fact the pups are cross bred does not dispel the chance that they will suffer from those genetic problems in fact they will me susceptible to the problems of both breeds instead of just one. To think otherwise is totally ridiculous
    R95 breeding, the crossing of 2 bloodlines, not only make a dog(and everything else with a genetic blueprint) but can also unmake it. Papers are merely a tool we use to track the probability of that results of that making. You can most definitely have a good dog from unknown heritage but it's a crap shoot, you were just lucky enough to roll 7s with your healer and good for you. Training is the molding of raw material into a finished product, no matter how good and dedicated the trainer may be they can only produce what the raw material will allow.
    Last edited by Cedar Cowgirl; 05-18-2015 at 02:27 PM.
    I shoot a "Girly Gun" a lil' ol' 45-70
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it."

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Cowgirl View Post
    Fact- you take a PB lab that is untested and cross it with a PB German Shepherd that is untested and both those dogs carry genetic defects and problems that are common to the breed. The fact the pups are cross bred does not dispel the chance that they will suffer from those genetic problems in fact they will me susceptible to the problems of both breeds instead of just one. To think otherwise is totally rediculous
    Are not those genetic defects you talk of from interbreeding ?
    Better a sister in a w#ore house....then a brother with a mathews .

Something to consider. If your looking to breed to get a pup what about the rest of the litter. There are tons of well bred purebred dogs and cross bred dogs that will be just as good if not better of a dog for you. Most of a dogs abilities come from training not inate abilities. All inate abilities allow is prey drive and health, and trainability to an extent. This is why most breeders preech testing. They can plan on improving there lines to have good prey drive and trainability but those are just luck aswell. All purebred registered dogs give you is a pedigree that you can search and cross reference genetic defects. Its not a guarentee but hedges your bet that your paying for a healthy dog. Cross breeds are a crap shoot, lots end up great due to a bigger gene pool but can be just as unhealthy as poorly breed purebred dogs. Not all breeders breed responisbly. Your better off to find another dog cross bred or purebred and put the time and effort into training a better dog than breeding one and hoping you get lucky. the spca is full of good dogs that just need a smart trainer to be a great dog. And breeding to get a pup just makes it a hassle to find good homes for the rest of the litter. Homes that wont give up on them because they dont have the desire to train them into a good dog

Quote Originally Posted by hardnocks View Post
    Are not those genetic defects you talk of from interbreeding ?
    Absolutely not genetic defects are not created by inbreeding. They are however nhanced and compounded by inbreeding as are desirable traits. This is the reason that papers and pedigrees play such an important role in breed development and the overall health and desired traits and instincts in individual dogs.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Just some info on genetics defects to clarify for some. Sorry but ive read quite a few posts about purebred vs cross bred and find alot of people know very little about genetics. The vast majority of genetic defects are either mutated during an induviduals lifetime (ie cancer) or are recessive genes that create a defetive protein (ie most are testable) they are in every organisms on earth, its part of evolution. Some are good and become desirable to progress a species, some are bad and usually are eliminated by causing the organism to perish. Mammals have 2 sets of genes, one from dad and one from mom. So if there is a properly functioning gene that is dominant, you never see a problem because the recessive gene is masked. Hence the problem of my dog is healthy so its progeny will be healthy. If you test you can determine that your dog carries recessive problem gene x and can breed to a dog with healthy gene X that masks and produces healthy puppies that still carry a recessive gene x. Its never noticed without testing but can be pass on to future generations. Thats where a pedigree helps along with testing. You can determine who has recessive genes and mask them with dominant health genes to produce health dogs. You can also eliminate certain recessive genes if you plan long term, but there will always be different recessive genes for defects that havent been found yet, they just havent been matched to another recessive gene carrier. So any breeding without testing is a chance, as you dont know what recessive genes are in your dog. Also why people assume purebred dogs are full of defects. Its incorrect, its due to years of breeding for desirable traits, not based on eliminating undesirable one. Since many purebred breeders and backyard breeders understand genetics so little we are always going to run into this problem. There isnt a solution other than dont breed dogs without doing your research and be a responsible breeder. Sorry for the rant but pm me if you need more clarification or just google mendels peas...

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter123 View Post
    Just some info on genetics defects to clarify for some. Sorry but ive read quite a few posts about purebred vs cross bred and find alot of people know very little about genetics. The vast majority of genetic defects are either mutated during an induviduals lifetime (ie cancer) or are recessive genes that create a defetive protein (ie most are testable) they are in every organisms on earth, its part of evolution. Some are good and become desirable to progress a species, some are bad and usually are eliminated by causing the organism to perish. Mammals have 2 sets of genes, one from dad and one from mom. So if there is a properly functioning gene that is dominant, you never see a problem because the recessive gene is masked. Hence the problem of my dog is healthy so its progeny will be healthy. If you test you can determine that your dog carries recessive problem gene x and can breed to a dog with healthy gene X that masks and produces healthy puppies that still carry a recessive gene x. Its never noticed without testing but can be pass on to future generations. Thats where a pedigree helps along with testing. You can determine who has recessive genes and mask them with dominant health genes to produce health dogs. You can also eliminate certain recessive genes if you plan long term, but there will always be different recessive genes for defects that havent been found yet, they just havent been matched to another recessive gene carrier. So any breeding without testing is a chance, as you dont know what recessive genes are in your dog. Also why people assume purebred dogs are full of defects. Its incorrect, its due to years of breeding for desirable traits, not based on eliminating undesirable one. Since many purebred breeders and backyard breeders understand genetics so little we are always going to run into this problem. There isnt a solution other than dont breed dogs without doing your research and be a responsible breeder. Sorry for the rant but pm me if you need more clarification or just google mendels peas...
    I agree with your post but find one statement incorrect, at least to my understanding. Not all testable genes are recessive. An individual can be possitive, negative or a carrier of certain genes. This alows us to know that if a dog is possitive we should not breed it, negative or clear and can be used for breeding purposes or recessive or a carrier of the defective which as you say will not show up but can be passed along, which is the most challenging. This is why it is so important to have dogs tested so you will know to only breed negative animals, spay or neuter a positive one and a carrier to a clear dog not another carrier. I have been on the dog world for over 65 years and it is amazing to see what we have learned about genetics in only the past dozen or so years. This is why it angers me so to see people pooh pooh testing their animals. With every dog tested we learn more and those nay sayers are doing a disservice not only to themselves, their dogs and clients but to the entire dog world.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!