Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Breeding your female

Re: Breeding your female

Well here we go. I breed dogs. I will tell you that if you want the experience and are ready to handle what can and does happen then go for it. Every female I've ever bred has become an even better dog
    The bond you will have with her by being their that whole night and then for the next two to three weeks of no sleep just seals the deal. Completely. You have to be committed The pup you keep will be part of your family from moment 1. If you can put the time in, it is without a doubt the best way to get a great dog

Best dog I ever knew came from an abandoned litter of lab cross pups with parvo that was left at the SPCA. Lived a good long life and was the smartest dog I have worked with. Also have had two pure bread, fully "certified" labs in the family that had have health issues and died relatively young. No expert by any means but life is full of variables. Have heard of 28 year old Olympic athletes having heart attacks, and scotch drinking, cigar smoking 100 year olds...
    JP

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
    Well here we go. I breed dogs. I will tell you that if you want the experience and are ready to handle what can and does happen then go for it. Every female I've ever bred has become an even better dog
    The bond you will have with her by being their that whole night and then for the next two to three weeks of no sleep just seals the deal. Completely. You have to be committed The pup you keep will be part of your family from moment 1. If you can put the time in, it is without a doubt the best way to get a great dog
    Thank you, that was the kind of knowledgable and unbiased information I was looking for....thanks!!
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

I have no Idea why anyone would ask for advice and not listen to those with solid experience on the subject. There is no evidence that breeding a bitch will have any effect on it's attitude, trainability or temperament. What there is, is plenty of documentation on what quite likely will happen to the offspring of untested dogs that may be passing on to the pups. The unknown and possibly devastating effects of genetic health risks, ignorance can cause. But as they say ignorance is bliss, and apparently the heartbreak a new dog owner may feel when they are forced to destroy a young dog because it can't walk, or see, or collapses from exercising means nothing to you. Which makes you not only irresponsible but heartless, and for all you who think that is alright then I hope you like what you see in the mirror.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

Hey there,

we have bred both of our females,they were littermates from their mom's litter.

Though keeping littermates is a bit of work, both of these girls really came into their own after their litters. they are awsome hunters,companions and have lots of field trial lines in them But yeah no negatives about breeding other than the always present risks to the bitch.
    Blacktailaholic

We had a Labradinger for 16 years loved that dog He was the best dog I ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by FirePower View Post
    I have no Idea why anyone would ask for advice and not listen to those with solid experience on the subject. There is no evidence that breeding a bitch will have any effect on it's attitude, trainability or temperament. What there is, is plenty of documentation on what quite likely will happen to the offspring of untested dogs that may be passing on to the pups. The unknown and possibly devastating effects of genetic health risks, ignorance can cause. But as they say ignorance is bliss, and apparently the heartbreak a new dog owner may feel when they are forced to destroy a young dog because it can't walk, or see, or collapses from exercising means nothing to you. Which makes you not only irresponsible but heartless, and for all you who think that is alright then I hope you like what you see in the mirror.
    Did you get your wife tested before you bred her?

This is kind of elitist attitude and fear mongering is not productive. Mixing breeds might be frowned upon by the purists but in reality every breed is a mix. It's hundreds of years of inbreeding that causes the majority of health issues! That's why bloodlines are soo important when breeding purebreds and why some breeders go to great lengths to bring stock in from other countries!

mixed breeds health issues pale in comparison to purebred...... In reality your actually more heartless breeding purebreds!!!
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

Brambles, I think it's great that you have a wonderful dog and you want to continue the lineage.
    Also agree that purebreds are not a necessity unless of course that's what you want.
    Our dogs are purebreds because that's what we wanted.
    I suggest that the big concern here is not pure vs. mutt but rather tested vs. untested.
    Why not get your dog tested and if all OK, then look for tested partner?
    That way you will reduce ( can't eliminate ) the risk of producing a litter that worst case might have to be destroyed?
    You can go online and see what tests are suggested in general and also breed specific.
    Good luck.

o you have any studies backing up your claims Brambles? I highly doubt it if you are looking for advice on here but im open to reading them. I always laugh when people ask for advice then shun it and then on top of that post absolutes damning the advice with no credible data/science lol

I am definitely on the improve the breed or don't do it crew. If the dogs breeding aren't at least health cleared for hips elbows eyes etc. then you are taking unnecessary risks. Can shit happen even after all the testing and precautions? sure. but I rarely read stories of messed up dogs and heart break from health cleared good line dogs. On the other hand I just read a story last week on facebook on a water fowl forum of a guy and his buddy that both bought labs from a back yard breeder and one 3 days the other 8 days after having them they had massive seizures and passed on.

Why take the risk?

Heres a real study

http://mercola.fileburst.com/PDF/Hea...dersOfDogs.pdf
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 05-18-2015 at 10:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Brambles, I think it's great that you have a wonderful dog and you want to continue the lineage.
    Also agree that purebreds are not a necessity unless of course that's what you want.
    Our dogs are purebreds because that's what we wanted.
    I suggest that the big concern here is not pure vs. mutt but rather tested vs. untested.
    Why not get your dog tested and if all OK, then look for tested partner?
    That way you will reduce ( can't eliminate ) the risk of producing a litter that worst case might have to be destroyed?
    You can go online and see what tests are suggested in general and also breed specific.
    Good luck.
    IG, there is some merit to what you say. We had a Springer male go over 2 7 foot fences and get into my Golden bitches run. She produced 4 beautiful pups that are birdy as all get out. Both sire and dam are from FTC bloodlines and have had all the health clearances common for their breed. We still sold the pups under a Spay/Neuter contract. They will make amazing gundogs but there is no need to propagate cross bred dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    o you have any studies backing up your claims Brambles? I highly doubt it if you are looking for advice on here but im open to reading them. I always laugh when people ask for advice then shun it and then on top of that post absolutes damning the advice with no credible data/science lol

I am definitely on the improve the breed or don't do it crew. If the dogs breeding aren't at least health cleared for hips elbows eyes etc. then you are taking unnecessary risks. Can shit happen even after all the testing and precautions? sure. but I rarely read stories of messed up dogs and heart break from health cleared good line dogs. On the other hand I just read a story last week on facebook on a water fowl forum of a guy and his buddy that both bought labs from a back yard breeder and one 3 days the other 8 days after having them they had massive seizures and passed on.

Why take the risk?

Heres a real study

http://mercola.fileburst.com/PDF/Hea...dersOfDogs.pdf
    Thanks for posting LP1, great info and link.
    I shoot a "Girly Gun" a lil' ol' 45-70
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it."