Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breeding your female

Breeding your female

I have a female choco lab/springer 50/50 cross! Labradinger
    I picked this breed because I thought it would be a great shed hunting dog!

i gave her 2 years to settle down and her hips and elbows to mature before running her too hard! Since her 2nd birthday in February she has really flourished with her she'd hunting! quite amazing to watch!

i would like to get a second dog, so I'm faced with either buying a male or breeding her with someone else's male and keeping a puppy.

can someone educate me .......will she be the same after a litter?

Thanks

Brambles

edit***.......not a mixed breed debate....
    Last edited by Brambles; 06-06-2015 at 09:59 PM.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Breeding your female

I've only ever bred one female. She definitely was not the same as before.
    I don't know how it works with dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Chaser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Chaser View Post
    Well done! LMAO!

We have been through this way to may times to go through it again, there are all kinds of pups available from good tested health checked lines to even consider breeding a bitch (or male) from untested lines. There are so many genitic problems that a seemingly healthy dog can carry that can turn joy to heartbreak in a short time it is not worth. the crap shoot. The best thing you can do for you and your dog is to have it fixed and look for a pup from tested and proven lines
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    We have been through this way to may times to go through it again, there are all kinds of pups available from good tested health checked lines to even consider breeding a bitch (or male) from untested lines. There are so many genitic problems that a seemingly healthy dog can carry that can turn joy to heartbreak in a short time it is not worth. the crap shoot. The best thing you can do for you and your dog is to have it fixed and look for a pup from tested and proven lines
    Me thinks they ought to test people to weed out the genetic defects in some of them. We breed dogs and no we don't test them. I see no point in it. Heart disease runs in peoples families so stop having kids. Life in itself is a wonderful thing but it does not come with any guarantees. We do however offer a 3 year guarantee of health for our puppies but like I tell people who buy, We cannot guarantee your puppy will not eat a poisonous plant, eat rocks or drown and we would also need an autopsy showing cause and if it is something we could have done differently then yes we would offer another puppy.....

"Me thinks they ought to test people to weed out the genetic defects in some of them. We breed dogs and no we don't test them. I see no point in it. Heart disease runs in peoples families so stop having kids. Life in itself is a wonderful thing but it does not come with any guarantees. We do however offer a 3 year guarantee of health for our puppies but like I tell people who buy, We cannot guarantee your puppy will not eat a poisonous plant, eat rocks or drown and we would also need an autopsy showing cause and if it is something we could have done differently then yes we would offer another puppy....."

So after 2 years the hips go or the elbows or the heart or the dog suffers from EIC or PFK or eye problems and has to be put down. Oh you offer another puppy and that will mend a child's broken heart. do you even know all the genetic problems associated with your breed. When tests can be done and are not it is totally irresponsible, you are playing Russian Roulette with 5 loaded cylinders. You by your own admission are an irresponsible breeder and what is wrong with the dog breeding world today.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Edzzed View Post
    Me thinks they ought to test people to weed out the genetic defects in some of them. We breed dogs and no we don't test them. I see no point in it. Heart disease runs in peoples families so stop having kids. Life in itself is a wonderful thing but it does not come with any guarantees. We do however offer a 3 year guarantee of health for our puppies but like I tell people who buy, We cannot guarantee your puppy will not eat a poisonous plant, eat rocks or drown and we would also need an autopsy showing cause and if it is something we could have done differently then yes we would offer another puppy.....
    I'm speechless.
    And that, I assure you is an extremely rare situation when dog breeding is discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Edzzed View Post
    Me thinks they ought to test people to weed out the genetic defects in some of them. We breed dogs and no we don't test them. I see no point in it. Heart disease runs in peoples families so stop having kids. Life in itself is a wonderful thing but it does not come with any guarantees. .....
    Actually, there is good argument that heart disease is not genetic at all. What we pass on to our kids is bad lifestyle and eating habits that can lead to heart disease. Change the diet and behavior for the good, enjoy a healthy life. Same goes for cancer and other disease. The last thing people want to do is take responsibility for their own bad choices and admit they gave themselves the disease. They instead blame it on someone or something else and then expect that others can come up with a "cure" for them. Often cases, the proper "cure" is to stop doing what you did to give yourself the disease and start doing what it takes to be healthy. No guarantees of course.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    I thought you didn't want to get into it again?

I'm not a dog snob and don't NEED to have a purebred dog. I think purebreds are way too overpriced, over hyped and have too many health issues regardless of how much testing the breeder claims and warrenties against. It's pretty well proven that mixed breeds are generally healthier animals.

Sounds like breeders try and keep themselves in business by fear mongering........if your dog isn't a purebred from the bestest inbred lines, it's gonna be hobbling around from hips and drop dead of a heart attack and your children are going to be devastated!!!!

My new dog was $500 and it was painful to pay that much for a puppy, but I wanted that mix of breeds so I paid.....people who pay $1000, $2000.....$3000 and probably more.....are Nucking Futz.....

anyways....none of this bantering is being productive.

maybe someone else with some experience with females DOGS....lol...and if they changed for the better or worse after having a litter!!!

thx
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat