Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anybody here trained a dog to track deer or moose?

Re: Has anybody here trained a dog to track deer or moose?

my dog seems to have the instinct to track game, I don't encourage it but a few times in the past I've casually played around with the idea in the field, we'll see a deer down a cut line and then hike to where he was and my dog had the trail no problem

I wouldn't wear camo if you follow through with the idea, make sure you wear some hi vis clothing if you're long leashing your dog to track game, wouldn't want somebody to confuse your dog for chasing game and get shot at

Back in the day I used to hunt elk with my Golden Retriever at my side and my brother who had his yellow lab. When we were afield, our animals were with us. We hunted Mule deer as well with them. My bro took a big 6x8 whitey by sitting still and mostly paying attention to his dogs awareness.

I track with my dog after the shot. Many for practices so when a shot goes bad he knows what to do and he does great at it. No during hunting season i get hides brought to me when ever we are just out for a walk lol.

Dr Tony Bubenic had some pictures of using Elk hounds in the Scandinavian countries. He said that the dogs would lick the leaves of the plants to get the trails of the moose. They used a chest to chest harness as they tracked the game. This is acceptable in BC. I would prefer this method, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr8u1HmejMc but it is not permissible here.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"