Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: taking hunting lessons

Re: taking hunting lessons

Seems there are a few unlikely city folk interested in getting a bit closer to their protein...
    http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/e...288/story.html

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    Seems there are a few unlikely city folk interested in getting a bit closer to their protein...
    http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/e...288/story.html
    I loaned a rifle to my young buddy who is friends with the brother and sister mentioned in the story for a trip they made to Princeton a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    The truth of the matter is how can you put on a truly effective hunting course?

You can teach basic field dressing, tracking, camp set up and a break down a simple list of commonly used gear but there is so much more to it.

There is so many different styles of hunting and each species involves a different approach. In my opinion the only ways to learn is go out and experience it and a mentor/mentors guiding you through your time in the field makes a huge difference. Hunting is something that takes years of learning and often you never stop learning new things.

Now if you want to just teach people to roll around on FSR with an ATV/truck that is easy. Teach them to spot game, dress their kill, and a few tricks on how to get it too the truck/ATV boom your done.

If you were putting on a species specific or style specific course I could see this more productive. Something like a moose hunting course teaching calling, habitat, retrieval methods ext would be effective. Or even a course on back country hunting, still hunting, stalking ext.

In my opinion there are too many branches of hunting to run an effective general hunting course.
    I have often said there 4 stages to becoming proficient at any task:
    1. Research ....read the book, watch the video
    2. Watching a mentor...asking questions/receiving instructions as it happens "why are you doing that?"
    3. Doing for a mentor...hands on leading the task but asking questions /receiving instructions as it happens
    4. Being a mentor....teaching someone else- explaining /answering their questions

http://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Guide-.../dp/081299406X

If you're newish to hunting, i'd recommend this book, I've only been hunting for around 3 years, being mentored by old-timers who were lucky enough to have learnt as kids. This book has been a wealth of information.

Every single fellow hunter i've shown it to has asked me to order them a copy. For 18 dollars, you cant really go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I loaned a rifle to my young buddy who is friends with the brother and sister mentioned in the story for a trip they made to Princeton a couple years ago.
    I think that is pretty cool.

This season, I am taking out a friend who has gotten increasingly outdoorsy since moving from Kitsilano to Hope 6 years ago. I'll be mentoring him in a general sense, but learning along the way as well since all my experience has been for Moose in Ontario and we were not successful in the Moose LEH. I have managed to influence him, teach firearm handling and encouraged him to take the CORE and PAL courses. Now he has also taken the RPAL and become an avid gun nut with at least a dozen firearms acquired. Next step is to take him into the field and get some experience. I don't know which one of us is more excited.

Whether you are a bowhunter or a rifle hunter, for some good lessons in hunting, styles of hunting, what to have with you, how to call, gut, skin, cape, pack, survival, first aid take a look at the International Bowhunter Education Program (IBEP). We've run it here in the Kootenay and those who take part in it, find additional enjoyment in the hunt as well as new skills.

I come from a non outdoorsy family. I've been camping as often as I could get out for the past 12 years or so. Do a fair amount of fishing and know a few guys who fish. But I only know of 1 person who hunted and he doesn't hunt anymore due to a work injury...

I could have simply bought the book and challenged the test and being a fairly book smart kinda guy, I probably would have passed quite easily.

However, I took the eatwild core course. I found it quite useful. I found the instructors had a great focus on ethics, which I thought was important.

The first hand experiences of the instructors were a great addition to the actual course material too.

After the course, I signed up for the hunter field skills camp that's coming up in a couple weeks.

I have already watched plenty of youtube videos and all that but... I think the experience of following around a bunch of hunting "veterans" will offer more than a video can. I can ask questions for one...

Also, hopefully I'll meet a few people and maybe find someone I can trust to go hunting with.

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I was just wondering if such lessons exist, there are lessons for every thing else but Ive never heard of anyone teaching people how to hunt.
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...unter-Bootcamp!
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.