Thread: Old 7mm Rem Mag Ammunition

Old 7mm Rem Mag Ammunition

First post here since finding your forum...

I am returning to hunting after more than 20 years and I was wondering if the old ammunition I still have is to be trusted.
    I have got some 7mm Rem Mag factory federal 160 grain Noslers and a bunch of hand loaded cartridges as well.
    Nosler Partition 175gr on top of 61 grains of IMR4350
    Vintage Hornady 100gr frangible varmints also on 61 grains of IMR4350
    With carefully measured and trimmed federal brass, my 700 BDL was really consistent with these recipes.
    Straight out of my Lymans manual (although the 175 recipe seems hot compared to the spec sheet Nosler has on their site these days… )

I suppose I should not risk them on a hunt… I could just practice with them, although there is a certain satisfaction that goes along with using your hand loads to harvest.

What is the most readily available highly regarded factory cartridges these days for 7mm Rem Mag? (Moose being my primary target) Suggestions for Elk and Deer also welcome.

I have done a bunch of lurking here and see the Barnes TSX and Nosler Accubond are talked up.
    Anything heavier than 160gr? Or not needed with the new technology in these bullets?

I did pick up a box of Federals with Barnes TSX 160’s… seems I can’t go wrong with these?

Thx,
    EJ

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Old 7mm Rem Mag Ammunition

As long as it all was stored right you are good to go....

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    I did pick up a box of Federals with Barnes TSX 160’s… seems I can’t go wrong with these?
    Federal discontinued their ammo loaded with Accubonds & Barnes TSX in 2014, so unless you have a source with lots available, I wouldn't get tooexcited about dialing in your rifle with that one box of shells. Barnes now loads their own ammo, so one of the current loads they offer is the 'VorTx 160gr TSX' which will be available for years to come.

You must be excited to get back out in the field, enjoy!
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I use handloads that I made in the 1990s with NO issues and if yours are still bright, shiny and stored in dry, cool conditions, I am sure they will be fine.

Excited doesn't even come close to describing. I'm quite surprised that my anti-hunting spouse is not kicking up a fuss. We will see if that changes when I get our 10 yr old his youth license and point him at a deer this fall.

The cases are a bit tarnished but they have been cool and dry. I'll fire a few at the gravel pit... I suspect they are fine.

The federals I bought were the only lonely box they had... Maybe I'll return them and see if I can find some Vortx.

Gotta love those Barnes TTSX!