Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing trailcam in 2-2... stolen by thief on 4 legs or 2? You decide...

Missing trailcam in 2-2... stolen by thief on 4 legs or 2? You decide...

Well after two years, this is the first time I have had a camera go missing. It was about a 45-60 minute hike off any road or trail... pretty thick and steep.... lots of ticks too. I was surprised.

The spot where we buried the salt was torn up pretty good and there were scratches on the tree where the camera was... we don't remember those being there before.

We searched the area for hours but could not find any sign of the camera. I would have thought we would have found broken bits from the plastic buckle if something forced it off... or fibers from the strap if it was torn. Nothing what so ever. Searched in circles starting at ground 0 to about 50M. Zig-zagged around a bunch of other targeted places within 200M. No dice.

Now after all the effort hauling up all that salt, I can't decide whether or not to put another camera up at that particular site. Maybe in the same area but a little deeper? I guess we could shovel up all the salt we put down on the one site and move it. I don't want to check a chance on the exact same spot incase it was a two-legged culprit.

So here's a video that shows the cam site and the marks on the tree which we do not recall being there. So bear or human? Thoughts on what to do?

No bear this trip but there was a lot more sign around. Ticks are still bad. Gf found two when she took her shirt off but neither dug in. I only had one but it managed to dig into my leg. Gong show out there on the main road now... seemed to be more hunters than fall opening weekend... talked to some nice ones but a lot just glaring giving everyone the stink eye... some idiots blocking roads too. Luckily the valley was getting some attention from the CO's.

On a positive note, on our way in we jumped a herd of 8-12 mule deer... they were dashing around all over the place. It was chaotic... all that stomping and hopping around... making that snort sound like killer whales make when they surface. It went on for several minutes. Very exciting!

We also got up close and personal with a blacktail that decided it wanted to run up to us and hang out for a bit and pose for some pics/vids. Ran into another 3 muleys later on. Also ended up with 91 videos between my other two cams!!! Lots of footage to go through and I'll post some up in the next few days.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-03-2015 at 06:20 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Missing trailcam in 2-2... stolen by thief on 4 legs or 2? You decide...

I was up at the cabin this weekend. A bear tore up my hunting blind. He pushed some big logs around.

Sorry for the loss.

I'm going with Bigfoot. I think a bear would have left shrapnel around.

I use python locks on mine. I've captured two people - one didn't see the cam and the second posed and gave a peace sign.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

was it locked?
    if not, then I don't see why a human stealing it would have left scratches/gouges in the tree.
    but no sign of any broken bits anywhere.
    hmmm.
    perhaps it came from above and not on the ground.

If you have cameras in bear country, which is everywhere, you need to get the bear proof case and a python cable lock.....or eventually a bear will come along and have a go at your camera. And it does not matter if you use gloves and spray down your camera with scent killer, bears will get to your camera because they are curious, see the little flash go off or just because.....

Every year, I get at least 6 bears attacks on my cameras, I have only had one get ripped off and beaten up by a bear....a Simmons that I could not find a case for. Amazingly it still works, even with a couple canine teeth holes in it and the sensor lens punched out.

Get your cameras in cases and locked to a tree, it helps with the 2 and 4 legged critters out there who think they own the camera.

Caddisguy, put up another camera, something has found the salt and will be back.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    If you have cameras in bear country, which is everywhere, you need to get the bear proof case and a python cable lock.....or eventually a bear will come along and have a go at your camera. And it does not matter if you use gloves and spray down your camera with scent killer, bears will get to your camera because they are curious, see the little flash go off or just because.....

Every year, I get at least 6 bears attacks on my cameras, I have only had one get ripped off and beaten up by a bear....a Simmons that I could not find a case for. Amazingly it still works, even with a couple canine teeth holes in it and the sensor lens punched out.

Get your cameras in cases and locked to a tree, it helps with the 2 and 4 legged critters out there who think they own the camera.

Caddisguy, put up another camera, something has found the salt and will be back.

Cheers

SS
    Good advice about locking cases. I'll see if I can find some for these Simmons 4/5MP cams or rig something myself.

My dilemma about putting a cam back up where it was before is that if a human did take it, they'll take it again. I guess you are leaning towards bear. I suppose my options are:

a) put up another cam but bear proof it... find out and worst case scenario, I'm out another cam
    b) re-locate the existing salt (I dont want to have an un-monitored patch of salt/mineral competing with a new monitored one)

Either way, I'm going to work on bear proofing all these cams. I know a sheet metal worker who can probably help me out.

I welded some 1/4" wall tcam boxes that I camo painted and lag bolt to the tree and run a cable lock around them. They are heavy as hell but since I am scouting when setting them up I consider the weight good exercise. Sorry for the ginormo pic

"Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

My buddy uses small electric breaker panel boxes for his cams. Cuts a small hole in the front for the camera. Also uses hose clamps to attach it to the tree. The screws are inside the breaker panel. The breaker panels have a spot for a lock on them already. I know if someone still wants it they can get it but it makes it extremely hard.

That sucks to hear! Did you say you also got bit by another tick? You're having a rough go of it, sorry to hear that.
    See the swing...hear the ding!

No broken plastic on the ground? Then its either Samsquench or Mick Dodge has come up from Wa state. Oh wait a minute I think they are one and the same