Thread: Wintering areas for deer near west Kelowna.

Wintering areas for deer near west Kelowna.

Hey I'm 14 years old and me and my friend love Shed hunting and we are trying to find out where the deer winter in this area to find a new shed hunting area. I'm not asking for a honey hole just a point in the right direction. Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wintering areas for deer near west Kelowna.

That's great that your into shed hunting at 14, I hope my boy will be at that age...lots of good areas around here, all up Smith Creek area, take Smith Crk Rd and hike up past the power lines and all around there, I and my shed huntin partner have found some nice ones through there...Or, Turnbull Rd up off Glenrosa Rd has good prospects up there..Or, Carre Rd, the third right as you head up Glenrosa Rd and get up on the flats has good potential as well.. Have fun..

Thanks man! Really appreciate it. I'm also into hunting,shot my first deer last year. We've put in probably 25 hours in this year and gotten about 15. The area was great but it is pretty picked clean now. Thanks again!

Good luck out there! I don't know the kelowna area so I can't give you any help there, but hope you do well!
    See the swing...hear the ding!

Thanks tig. Really appreciate it.

A lot of areas will already be picked clean so don't let that determine if the area is a good shed area or not. Mid March and April are your best bets. This year things melted earlier. Tougher areas can be better for finding bigger sheds.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    A lot of areas will already be picked clean so don't let that determine if the area is a good shed area or not. Mid March and April are your best bets. This year things melted earlier. Tougher areas can be better for finding bigger sheds.
    Just like SSS said, with a early snow melt the deer will be all over the hills so will the sheds.
    Try up higher in harder to reach areas.
    A possible area to try is around Crystal Mtn ski hill.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

Thanks guys will have to look around crystal.

If you're going up behind Crystal, take the road to Jackpine just before Crystal and go up about 1 k or so until you get to what seems like the top of the hill, you should see a good clearing on the right that let's you see back down toward Kelowna and on your left there'll be a open area. Park there and if you wander around on the left side you'll find some old logging trails that will lead you up back south and west up towards Crystal. With the easy winter and the fact that Crystal didn't open this year there was probably a good bunch of mulies hanging around there. Other than that try the the cross country trails below Crystal, especially where they branch off and head over to Law Mt./ Peachland. There are just tons of trails over there, suitable for quads or mountain bike so you probably won't be the only ones there

Thanks for the tips. I will check out those aareas for sure.