Thread: goose decoys

goose decoys

Just wondering what decoys you water fowlers are using and where do you get them.....and how many do you use?
    Better a sister in a w#ore house....then a brother with a mathews .

2. Site Sponsor

Re: goose decoys

Used to order out of the states but the dollar put a stop to that. If I have a choice, GHG. If not, anything will do. Its more about where you are and how you set up than what dekes you buy. For ducks on ponds you dont need more than a half dozen. For geese on fields i like two dozen min. For snows or specks as many as you can get your hands on. For early season before they are coloured up just run hens.

I bought 2 dozen cheap storm fronts from Cambodian Tire last year. Worked great, handle with care though as the paint can chip off quite easily.

Like mentioned above, it is more about location and set rather than decoys which i found out through other seasoned duck hunters. I was worried about not having flocked heads, full bodies etc... but after someone showing me how to place your spread and work the ducks i completely forgot about how good my dekes were and focused on set up, wind, location and number one i've found... is your blind, make sure that sucker is blended in and your covered from above. Don't get me wrong, full bodies, flocked heads are gorgeous dekes and im sure will help down those hard to commit birds or late season but what i had worked and will stick with it. The only thing i noticed though was 24 ducks with head up posture isn't the best idea..., should have saved the money on 1 dozen and bought a different brand that had different postures.

When you walk up on a pond or field of ducks what do they all do? turn heads up and look... well thats how my dekes looked and we had several days where they would not commit from that 70 yards as they knew something was up. I had no idea what was going on and why all of a sudden ducks wouldnt commit until a buddy met me out in the field one day. First thing he says is get rid of half those dekes, looks like a bunch of scared ducks about to fly away. Next set came in wings cupped and feet down, face palm right away... lol

Ordering me some resting and feeder dekes for this year.

Wholesalesport has lots online, you can order to their store i believe. Cabelas, your local Fish and Tackle shop. Even Cambodian Tire.

Feeders are the bomb. Always have a few sleepers too, especially if youre going to hunt midday.