Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Koota elk population

Koota elk population

where can I find or read about the koots elk population and what areas are declining and increasing.....feel free to give your opinion
    Another hunt another story

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Koota elk population

There was a presentation at the BCWF AGM discussing just that this past weekend. In general, the numbers are declining due to low recruitment, and high predation. The low elevation local herds were doing well due to low predation, but the migrating back county herds are getting hit hard.

http://bcwf.net/images/stories/AGM20...20Jamieson.pdf
    Last edited by Whonnock Boy; 04-28-2015 at 10:46 PM.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

weren't they talking about a management plan in 2010-2014 to make the herds better or something.....what is killing the back country herds the most, predation, logging, climate change, hunting pressure?
    Last edited by Grolar; 04-28-2015 at 10:16 PM.
    Another hunt another story

Predation mainly from grizzly, and black bear. That is what the link talks about, a management plan for all species including predators, with target harvest rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Grolar View Post
    weren't they talking about a management plan in 2010-2014 to make the herds better or something.....what is killing the back country herds the most, predation, logging, climate change, hunting pressure?

...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

I felt for sometime now, that there should be a small leh grizz hunt for the fall in the koots.
    I know I am frowned upon by some for saying that in the past, but that still hasn't changed my opinion.
    Ya sure, a spring hunt is available, but for some like myself, the only viable time I have is in the fall.
    And yes, more winter range being created would help, as would removing some Wolf packs.
    Although, with all the logging that has been done, you would think habitat isn't necessarily the primary problem to the decline in elk #'s??
    Some say, that due to less snow over the years, that less avalanches occur, which now does not create the new feeding areas for elk in the high country come the following spring/ summer...
    there could be some truth to that as well I suppose.
    I certainly don't think that the low #'s are do to over harvesting by hunters, so predation seems to make the most sense in my books.
    And to back that up, wolves and Grizz are all over the place now, in the area in which I hunt anyways....way, way more than I have ever seen, and for now, I don't see them as declining anytime soon.
    At least not until much of the prey, elk and whities decline to a number where they, the predators can no longer sustain themselves, which could be a long time yet still, unless we take some steps to
    drop their numbers, so that the elk can repopulate...

Small??? With only 50 bears being harvested yearly, an estimated 4500 bear population, and a 6-8% recruitment rate, we could increase the harvest substantially. They would be treading water with a 150 to 200 bear harvest. Social management at its best.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I felt for sometime now, that there should be a small leh grizz hunt for the fall in the koots.
    I know I am frowned upon by some for saying that in the past, but that still hasn't changed my opinion.

Based on recent conversations with a fifth-generation Kootenay hunter-trapper, private pilot, VERY successful Elk hunter, who just did a flyover check of West Kootenays Elk country, there were Wolf tracks everywhere and very few ungulate tracks.

I was there last Oct. in some fine country and I have as much serious bush experience there as anyone and in five days, I saw three Elk, at night, no Moose and no deer. There was LOTS of bear sign, rained too hard to see Wolf sign and in past years, I usually would have seen at least some game in daylight hours.

"Social management" IS precisely the problem.

I should clarify, there are 4500 bears from Jasper to Bob Marshall Wilderness in the states. Let's say for arguments sake 3000 of them are within the region 4 boundaries. 2% mortality is taken off the top for 60 bears, which leaves 120 to 180 for hunting. Still a far cry from a 50 bear annual harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    Small??? With only 50 bears being harvested yearly, an estimated 4500 bear population, and a 6-8% recruitment rate, we could increase the harvest substantially. They would be treading water with a 150 to 200 bear harvest. Social management at its best.

wolves are also doing a number on the herds. I personally witnessed wolves chase a herd through the spotting scope last year.