View Poll Results: what's a caddisguy to do?!

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pack your stuff caddisguy... tomorrow will bring you energy and luck!

15 39.47%
  • Stay up late watching Netflix, sleep in and rest up for next weekend

23 60.53%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To bear hunt or not to bear hunt in freezing temps, Region 2

To bear hunt or not to bear hunt in freezing temps, Region 2

Looking at the weather... high of 13 and low of 1 where I get my forecast. This actually means -5 to 7C where I hunt. I imagine there's a few bears out, but wonder how they'll respond to this cold snap. Does it make a difference? (ie: like me, does it make them want to crawl back in bed?)

Normally I wouldn't care about my odds of success... just happy to go out and check the trailcams and enjoy being out in the bush. That said, I'm feeling a bit warn down and thoughts of all the hiking, ticks and a cold night are swaying me towards "only worth it if there's a good chance at a bear involved". It's still early... not even May. Though maybe I'll feel more energy tomorrow?

Internet, please tell me what to do. Decide for me. Thanks!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: To bear hunt or not to bear hunt in freezing temps, Region 2

2nd weekend in May there will be bears everywhere you go. May 1st weekend there will be a few out.

There's been a few bears got but she's still pretty brown up above. I never get serious before May
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Get yourself better first. Then next weekend go all out and get yourself a bear.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

do bears get up to eat when it's still freezing outside ? I doubt it

are they up already eating shoots and sprouts, and fresh green grass ? I haven't seen any yet

have you ?
    we should not be asking why the lunatic had a gun, but why no one else did

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt, San Francisco, May 13, 1903

"No women, no kids ! " Leon : The Professional

Save your time, energy and money. It's still early and in many areas the food sources just aren't there yet. We are getting reports of bears out and about in the Okanagan but only in the residential areas that interface with the bush. These are probably a few bears that have become habituated to suburban areas and return annually. I wouldn't want one knowing it has been eating garbage like the one that visits a friends neighbourhood over the last week. I have been scouring the woods from 1600 metres to 700 metres for 3 weeks steady, open south faces, low lying riparian, power lines, gas lines...you name it. The bears are simply not out in the areas I have covered... no sign period. There may be a few out but far and few between I'm sure.

Checked a few low lying swamps today and there simply has not been enough heat to get the growth going. No skunk cabbage even showing, nettles just about to go, dandelions only below 700 metres and spotty at best. The ground is still cold in most areas so things are not growing. My areas need a week of solid warmth and sun to kick start some growth .

If my fridge was empty and it was cold out I think I'd just go back to sleep for a while like the bears.
    I was born at night... but not last night.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Quote Originally Posted by cloverphil View Post
    do bears get up to eat when it's still freezing outside ? I doubt it

are they up already eating shoots and sprouts, and fresh green grass ? I haven't seen any yet

have you ?
    Only one pile of scat, one patch of greenery that looked munched (easter bunny was a suspect) and nothing on 2 of the 3 cams I checked as of two weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    Save your time, energy and money. It's still early and in many areas the food sources just aren't there yet. We are getting reports of bears out and about in the Okanagan but only in the residential areas that interface with the bush. These are probably a few bears that have become habituated to suburban areas and return annually. I wouldn't want one knowing it has been eating garbage like the one that visits a friends neighbourhood over the last week. I have been scouring the woods from 1600 metres to 700 metres for 3 weeks steady, open south faces, low lying riparian, power lines, gas lines...you name it. The bears are simply not out in the areas I have covered... no sign period. There may be a few out but far and few between I'm sure.

Checked a few low lying swamps today and there simply has not been enough heat to get the growth going. No skunk cabbage even showing, nettles just about to go, dandelions only below 700 metres and spotty at best. The ground is still cold in most areas so things are not growing. My areas need a week of solid warmth and sun to kick start some growth .

If my fridge was empty and it was cold out I think I'd just go back to sleep for a while like the bears.
    Thanks for the report! In my area the grass is doing good... a few dandelions... tons of skunk cabbage too but as of two weeks ago not much sign at all. I hit the grassy slopes first, drainages with skunk cabbage next. Just the one pile of scat and one patch of grass that looked munched on.

Thanks for all the feedback and votes!! Looks like it's leaning towards the "stay home and recharge" side of the fence. I'm giving it another 20 minutes and then the Internet's decision is final! Lol

Sorry for the lame thread--though I guess it might be useful to all with the feedback and reports coming in--but I honestly needed someone else to decide for me. It was either this or a coin toss, but a coin toss lacks useful insight.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-24-2015 at 08:02 PM.

Had a look around this past weekend with no sign spotted, won't bother this weekend, the first weekend in May I'll be out looking again. I say if you don't feel like going, don't go, take it easy and relax, when you're ready, you won't be asking us.
    Pretend hunter.

Done deal. Just fired up Netflix and cracked a beer. Lets keep the feedback and votes flowing for anyone else trying to decide.

Next weekend, I'll check the cams and hunt hard. It will still be a tad (week) early, but less early than it is now... and I'll be recharged running full throttle.