Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First turkey !!

First turkey !!

Gunner's camo gun, check
    New hunting boots from Fishers Hardware (best store EVER), check
    Lucky HBC cap with my name on the back that Gunner bought me, check
    Hunting buddy extraordinaire, check
    Ready for my first turkey hunt, something I've always wanted to do. What a great weekend with great results. Not too many birds but at least one had my name on it. I see what all the fuss is about now but wonder, since these things are so hard to find, why there is a spring AND fall season and why you can shoot hens in the fall as well as toms. I can only hope somebody knows what they're doing when it comes to managing the quotas...I know Gunner would have much to say on the topic. I've struggled with Photobucket all week and will be surprised if the photo(s) are attached to this post. I'm not sure if I will hunt turkeys again this fall, I will have to see what transpires with the draws I put in. Meanwhile, I'm off to the BCWF fundraiser this weekend to drink some Bone beer and donate some loot to a worthy cause. Good luck on your draws folks !

Mrs. Gunner
    Last edited by Gunner; 01-27-2018 at 05:52 PM.
    Support the BCWF, they volunteer to benefit all of us.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First turkey !!

Nice work! Congrats on a beautiful bird

Nice bird!!

Awesome!

Pretend hunter.

Very nice! I'm sure Gunner was right there alongside you, or at the very least looking down with a smile!

Fantastic share! I know Gunner's smile was as big as mine.
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

There's not very many hard core hunters out there that can say they shot a turkey! Good Job! How are the wild turkeys as far as table fare go? I see lots of guys down south use the big outdoor deep fryer to cook there turkeys, also heard there fantastic cooked that way?

Nice to see you posting here Mrs. Gunner. It's always cool to see the name Gunner show up.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

Congrats on your first and very nice tom.
    They may be hard to find at times, but are numerous and prolific.
    As to recipes, we tried a new way yesterday and it is now my favorite. Slice the breast cross-grain into 1 cm thick cutlets, dip in egg and bread them in a mixture of bread crumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, seasoned salt, pepper, Italian seasoning. fry in oil till nicely browned. Yummy! This was a mature tom. I know the dark meat will be tougher though, but very flavorful. A lot of people make soup from it.
    We have deep-fried them and roasted them with varying degrees of success as some can be quite tough - but always tasty. The fall hens and jakes are the best.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Congrats. That's a very nice bird.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....