Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh the Dilema....

Oh the Dilema....

Hey guys,

Heres the breakdown... parents wouldn't let me own a firearm and keep it in their house, therefore I decided to move out (this was obviously not the sole factor, new job, financial stability and age factored in as well) however i moved out with the lady friend. She knew of my hunting ambitions (i have my license etc, however without a reliable and human way of dispatching an animal and using it to the best of my abilities I have yet to ever come close to calling myself a "hunter") however apparently never factored in the idea of the fact that we would therefore have a firearm in the house.... turns out, shes DEATHLY afraid of them. Well obviously im going to have to work on this one... but i figured buying said firearm and saying "suck it" would probably get me no where other then at best the couch.

So in the mean time I've decided to attempt to avidly take up Flyfishing (in my case a very sorry attempt at fly fishing for now) what I was wondering was if anyone knew of any consolidated usefull information, be it text or video that i could use to help myself pick up at minimum the basics, and perferably a "fly fishing dictionary"

I understand the comments of " its called search dumb dumb" however I was just curious on anyones specific knowledge of consolidated material.

As a side note, I have some weekends completely to myself near the end of may, if anyone is looking for a quiet pack mule looking to learn send me a PM!!

Thanks again in advance guys, usually your most helpful
    ~Wes

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Oh the Dilema....

Your young find a girl that likes guns. Better a girl who will handle the gun.Just make sure the gun doesn't go off prematurely. Keep your gun clean and make sure you are aware of where you are pointing it at all times.
    Thats all I got for ya

take up bow hunting?
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

A firearm in the house is no more scary than a hammer in your tool box. Put either in a deranged persons hand and both should be feared.

As for fly fishing contact your local flyshop and take a fly fishing seminar.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

http://www.orvis.com/p/orvis-fly-fis...d-edition/65c0

good book. Has all the basics to get you started. I have it as an ebook, but can't find it on amazon right now as an ebook for some reason.

As for the gun, take her to the range and get her to shoot. My ex was the same way until she got to shoot it herself. She never got into shooting, but felt better after handling them herself. Besides, anyone living in a house with guns should at least know how to check and unload them.
    Last edited by Hanrahan; 04-22-2015 at 09:15 PM.
    "Dave's a killer"

"Good? Bad? I'm the one with the gun!"

Sounds like she has a case of Hoplophobia.

Take her shooting. It's like playing "just the tip", she'll go for it. If not, there's no hope for her.

I haven't taken anyone shooting yet, than didn't like it. Most love it.

(and no I don't try and play "just the tip" with everyone I take shooting! lol)

If she's that afraid of guns, and you buy a bolt action rifle, you could store the rifle at your place and the bolt at someone else's, explaining that the gun can't fire without the bolt.

yeah we have a few friends with guns, one of them happens to be one of her good friends, hence i thought it wouldn't be an issue... so were currently lining up dates to take her out and get her aquainted with a couple guns and let her see feel etc. education is the best way to introduce someone anyways right?

Thanks Hanrahanthats just the kind of book i was looking for! looks like it got ALOT of rave reviews! and Keoke i will be looking up a seminar to go to, never thought about asking that question haha
    ~Wes

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

If you're renting, consider taking her with you and have her participate in
    buying a heavy duty gun safe, one that she is comfortable will safely store
    your guns. If you have your own place, consider building a strong reinforced
    safe with a quality locking system she's happy with.

Teach her the ACTS and PROVE safety of firearms, and when in the habit of ALWAYS applying these safety checks, a gun is just as safe as any other tool...I clean and maintain my firearms around my wife and two year old, it's just a part of life...

LOL get her familiar with guns and she'll be all over your gun, and you can tell her to suck it all the time and she might listen