Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Oh the Dilema....

Re: Oh the Dilema....

"How to Fly Fish" video series by Orvis. Covers all the bases, and very simple: http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com

Also, subscribe to the "Orvis Fly fishing guide" podcast. Tom Rosenbauer does it and its great. Ive learned so much from both, and they are both free. I would recommend some of his books too, but thats already been done.

As for relationships... Be open and honest and tell her exactly what you would like to do, give her the opportunity to express all her concerns, and then agree on a plan. Open communication will solve 90% of your problems. If she still says no, you have to decide what you want more: her or the guns.

Quote Originally Posted by keoke View Post
    As for fly fishing contact your local flyshop and take a fly fishing seminar.
    X2 on that. As a diehard do-it-yourselfer who spent years chasing steelhead relatively unproductively, when I look back I think it would have been very smart to get out with a guide early in the game and get up the learning curve way way faster. So yeah, get in touch with the local fly fishing shop and sign up for a course. Try calling Highwater Tackle at (604) 986-3239. Your girlfriend and your parents will be relieved (for now....)

My only other comment is that I didn't start hunting till I was 45 (20 yrs ago). But I was very keen on river fishing for salmon -- up the Squamish in October, etc. However, November was dead and I would mope around doing nothing till steelheading started up in December, little knowing that the best local hunting was happening during those many wasted Novembers. Start hunting now! Get your sweetie keen on the benefits of organic free range, low fat meat (and as everyone on this site will confirm, its FREE!)

Well...just going to throw my two pennies out there on this one....

If you love this young lady and want to stay with her, I would say bring her along when you go fishing, and the times you spend outdoors. If she is from Vietnam and her only "experience" with firearms is an M16 over there, and she's "deathly" afraid of guns, I'm thinking she may have a legitimate issue with guns.
    Most definitely not the same as a person growing up here under "normal" circumstances.
    If you think it's "worth it", I would spend time talking with her about firearms, how they are not dangerous on their own, how they are fun to shoot, how hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, and spending time outdoors together can be the best thing for a relationship.

She may never get over her fear of guns. You might have to either live with that, not be with her, or stay with her and not be a gun owner.

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to be from Vietnam and the only firearm I know is an M16....probably an AK too. I may have a different view of things.

If she's the one you want to spend your life with, do what you need to do!

Of course, as already stated, this is probably a terrible site for relationship advice, and hell...I'm single...so wtf do I know!

A newly wed hunter was sitting in his basement cleaning his firearms one morning when his wife came in and said, "You know dear, now that we're married I think you should sell all that hunting and fishing stuff you have and take up a different sport".
    He looked at her with that deer in the headlights look on his face.
    She said "What 's the matter? Are you ok?"
    He replied, "I'm fine, but for a minute there you sounded like my first wife".
    She flipped out and screamed, "WHAT? YOU NEVER TOLD ME YOU WERE MARRIED BEFORE!!!!
    He quietly went back to cleaning his guns and said, "I wasn't".
    It's only when you see a mosquito land on your testicles that you realize there are other ways to deal with problems than violence.

Things to say to girlfriends:

1) I hunted before I meet ya

2) I'm going to hunt while were together

3) If we ever break up... I'm sill going to hunt

4) End of story. : )

Would it be fair to ask her to stop or give up her favorite passtime?

Quote Originally Posted by Everett View Post
    Go by a gun cabinet and install it than go buy a rifle and install it in the cabinet inform girlfriend that she can't have access because she is unlicensed. If girlfriend walks out on you call you mates and throw a party because you dodged a bullet. Women who are afraid of inanimate object tend to be on low side of intelligence and make very poor partner's and living companions.
    This. So friggin' true.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    Things to say to girlfriends:

1) I hunted before I meet ya

2) I'm going to hunt while were together

3) If we ever break up... I'm sill going to hunt

4) End of story. : )
    LOL that would sum it up, if she don't like it too bad...