Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear hunt help!

Bear hunt help!

Hey people....I know theres already plenty-o-threads on bears here. I am just getting back into hunting over this past year and want to get out for a spring bear. I am heading up to Kamloops area this weekend for a hockey tournament and am going to find time for a day trip out in the bush (3-20). Any tips? Pointers? I am itching HARD for my first spring bear and will take any useful tips and tricks to get myself my bear.
    After this trip I am open to hunting anywhere including a weekend island trip if necessary. I live in the GVA if that helps. Also, if there are any members on here who have the same mindset as Kudu who was unreal this past duck season on showing me the ropes....I am keen to get out with someone! Feel free to PM me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bear hunt help!

I have been out 1 day of each of the last 3 weekends, only 1 day each weekend because what I have seen so far hasn't made me feel like wasting any more fuel. Any more than about 5kms into the bush in any direction it seems like you start to run out of any real amount of green grass and start getting into snow pretty quick too. I have yet to see even a single pile of bear crap anywhere yet so I'm not getting my hopes up. I thought with the warm February we had we would be ahead of schedule but it really seems to have only made a difference right down low in the valley bottom everywhere else seems to be about on par with previous years, maybe even behind somehow, so I don't expect to see much until probably the second week of May at this point.

Well first off good luck on your hunt. I'm just wondering if you get your bear will you have time to prosess it with the hockey tournament? Your hotel might get up set if you roll your bear into the lobby on a luggage cart (lol) I havn't hunted that area but I have seen bears west of Kamloops toward Cashe Creek. If you leave the tournament early enough you could take the canyon home and do a little hunting on the way

I am actually heading from Kamloops to Vernon afterwards and if i DO in fact get a bear I have a place in Vernon to properly process it without issue Thanks for the heads up russ....I figured that it is still a little early in that area at elevation unfortunately but I figured MAYBE there I would hit a stroke of luck and everything falls into place when I pass through.

Also...what ammo am I best off using for a bear? I have 180gr and 165gr Federal ammo....

both 165 and 180 will work fine. I wouldn't use blue box federal though, any federal premium ammo should work, I use partitions or trophy bonded.

Awesome...both are premium boxes of ammo!

Quote Originally Posted by Moe.JKU View Post
    both 165 and 180 will work fine. I wouldn't use blue box federal though, any federal premium ammo should work, I use partitions or trophy bonded.
    Exactly...the blue box stuff can fragment a little too quickly..I had a WT buck shoulder meat totally ruined once from that ammo... OP think sunny slopes, greening up, glass glass, and enjoy.. watch for cubs..

Also been up a couple times in Kamloops and Merritt with absolutely no sign whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter1488 View Post
    Hey people.. I live in the GVA if that helps.
    No you don't, you live in the lower mainland