Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: moose hunt with a 308?

Re: moose hunt with a 308?

Quote Originally Posted by smallfry14 View Post
    Yep, of course a bigger rifle would give you more room for error, I was just making a point that a .308 will do the trick as long as you shoot straight..if you blast em in the ass I don't think it makes much of a difference

that is what i was tryin to say as well, but my wording sucked a bit....... Dad hunted a 308 for his first bunch of years moose hunting,,, Uncle Had a .284 which was handed down to me at 14.... I shot my 270 For 20 years and killed lots of moose with Cheap bullets, expensive bullets and hand rolled by me.... i do have a 338RUM but my wife bought that for me for my birthday when i told her i always wanted a 338 win...

220gr in a 308 for moose?
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    220gr in a 308 for moose?
    I would consider it with a 1:10 twist. Maybe run a few past the chrony. Otherwise not.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Forget it...

i can argue for days here but people will always nit pic every bloody word....

.284 Win with Silvertips did not go through the F ing mooses shoulder 7 f in times...... yes if one was shot 10 inches further back it would have gone into the lungs and killed the moose... but the guy shooting the bloody thing thought the bullet should be able to go through the shoulder.... in 1975 there was no TTSX....

i first said the 308 is fine.... i then comented on Dudes
    "I watched a video a while ago of a kid making a clean kill on an elk with a .243..shot placement is key, whether it's a .308 or .338"

to reiterate that a 338 is better.. due to the above reasoning.....
    moose at 70 yards ...30-06 with a silvertip (thought it was 180 but maybe 165 gr)...bullet was stopped by a moose rib..broke the rib and pushed it back a bit allowing the fragments to spray left and right with no entry into the vitals...moose did not move...2nd salvo was from two peeps at the same time in the neck area ...moose still standing 4th bullet between the eyes and it finally dropped..it will be nozler partitions for moose from here on in for me...
    To all you first shot every time shooters: I say if it aint on the ground keep shooting....I always go boiler room neck then head if I need a 3rd shoot....also seen an elk get up with 2 30-06 (150 gr ) we lucked out while hunting whitetail does, to have a 6x6 walk up....this was from 50 yards...
    wide

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    I would consider it with a 1:10 twist. Maybe run a few past the chrony. Otherwise not.
    2300'ish FPS, be fine if all shots were within 200 yards. You just don't need that heavy of a bullet to get deep penetration these days

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

130gr TTSX will outpenetrate a 200gr cup and core bullet, and not sacrifice so much trajectory.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I was told to.."don't shoot them on the downhill side of the road , and put it behind the shoulder thru the lungs. " Iron deer syndrome gets a lot of hunters. They think anything that they shoot has to drop immediately. Hence , shoulder shooting and bone crunching. There's lots of good burger in the front shoulders. All in all, it totally depends on the situation and also what caliber that you can shoot well. If you have to close your eyes and flinch like a bear crapping peach pits every time you pull the trigger, good luck with that. Every hunter I know never lost an animal that they hit well. Last moose I shot was with a .308 at under a hundred yards. Hopped twice , then stood for a bit till he figured out he should fall down. 165g handload. Under a miniute to shoot , and four hours to get to the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    130gr TTSX will outpenetrate a 200gr cup and core bullet, and not sacrifice so much trajectory.
    Ill try not to derail this thread but my dad and I were just talking about what's better for deer using his 35 Whelen. A 200 grain fast bullet or a 250 grain slow bullet. No joke, he really likes the gun.

guest Guest

Shot plenty of moose with 308 hand loaded with 165 partition noslers, I would NEVER hesitate recommending it either. Very under rated cartridge ....... Almost the same as a 30/06 but many won't admit that.

Punch em em through the lungs and enjoy your eats !

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    Shot plenty of moose with 308 hand loaded with 165 partition noslers, I would NEVER hesitate recommending it either. Very under rated cartridge ....... Almost the same as a 30/06 but many won't admit that.

Punch em em through the lungs and enjoy your eats !
    yep. On average only 3% slower than the 30-06 while burning 12% less powder
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever