Thread: 2015 Turkey southern BC

2015 Turkey southern BC

Hey folks.

So, a couple of friends and I (first season turkey guys) have been scouring the bottoms of 8-1, 8-12 and 8-14 for our first gobblers over the past few days. Basically from the east side of the reserve near Oliver/Osoyoos through Mt Baldy/Mckinney, and east of Westbridge to the kettle valley/Rock creek areas and south from there. We're fairly well versed in other game and hunting strategy in general and feel like we should be having more luck than we are. Saw some young hens today but no luck with anything legal unfortunately.

Basically it seems like were covering a ton of ground but if were looking in the wrong areas we're just spinning our wheels. We've only got one more day to try and bag one, can anyone that has tagged out suggest a more specific area where there might be birds? I would appreciate any suggestion at this point, and we dont mind doing the legwork (clearly lol) if anyone would care to share some direction. We would like to go further east but we're based out of Lake Country so a drive to say, the Christina lake area, is out of the question unfortunately.

For the record, Ive never seen as much wildlife as I have over the last few days. Moose, Elk, and eyeballed 72 deer yesterday. Amazing country down in that region. Just no legal cluckers! Feel free to pm me if you dont want to plaster hotspots all over the web. Thanks all.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2015 Turkey southern BC

Well, yesterday we tried the area south of Rock Creek to Midway (intensively), and up the Christian Valley via Christian Vally Rd until we hit the Big White area. We gave up and went home at that point, not even a gobble. All that to get home to hear my neighbor talking about all the turkeys he saw at Predator Ridge that morning....15 minutes from my house...

I have seen them by the golf course in Kettle Valley in December so my guess is they're back up the hills off the highway. Probably all private property so they'll be safe.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

I think you are doing the right thing bucktown. It took me three years of searching before I found them due to the exact reason as you. No experience with them. I only have two under my belt now, but they are super fun when you get them going! Unfortunately, they're not super dense in population yet. They are increasing in numbers, and in the next ten years we should have a much more huntable population. If you are heading out again, PM me and maybe I can help you out.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

I went hunting north of rock creek, towards christian valley a bit. We seen everything but a turkey. They were making all sorts of noise, but couldnt bag one

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I think you are doing the right thing bucktown. It took me three years of searching before I found them due to the exact reason as you. No experience with them. I only have two under my belt now, but they are super fun when you get them going! Unfortunately, they're not super dense in population yet. They are increasing in numbers, and in the next ten years we should have a much more huntable population. If you are heading out again, PM me and maybe I can help you out.
    i haven't hunted the area at all, but that's a good point about the next ten years, I grew up in Ontario and over 20 years we saw the population of Turkey go from extirpated-EstimTed 100000 in 25 years and today there is 2 seasons and can hunt all southern Ontario , gonna check out rock creek this summer and scout what to hunt

This year was a weird one for me. Had a few gobbles but when I set up, the toms seemed to take off and move away after my calling (hen setup only, no Tom deke or gobbles). Tried stalking but they have keen eyesight! Finally found a hot spot but the last day of the season. Same thing, heard a gobble, snuck closer, set up and the gobbles moved away. If I had one more day I could have set up in the dark and let them come to me as I am pretty sure the sign points to them having a particular spot for looking for the ladies.
    So keep trying, don't lose hope, it'll work out one day.
    This is all in the West Koot's area BTW.

Well, I was hoping to have better luck in the fall season but I wonder what this wildfire will do as far as displacing turkey (and other game, for that matter). Think they will head east? or north? Anyone seen any turkey flocks on the move?