Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most recent allocation propaganda

Most recent allocation propaganda

Anyone else get the letter from Tom Ethier this morning? Seems like they're still trying to convince us the new allocation is a good thing......

Your correspondence to the Honourable Christy Clark, Premier of British Columbia and Honourable Steve Thomson, Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations, regarding British Columbia wildlife allocation, has been forwarded to me for a response.

When considering allocation, it is important to note that resident hunters harvest about 92 percent of the approximately 48,000 big game animals taken annually by hunters in British Columbia. Of these 48,000 big game animals, about 7,500 are animals managed by allocation. The minister’s allocation decision is estimated to move 60 of the allocated big game animals to guide-outfitter hunts.

Allocation is only required for species in areas that cannot be managed solely by general open season, and only in the parts of British Columbia covered by guiding territories. Many popular big game species are completely untouched, province wide, by allocation policies, including mule deer, white-tailed deer, wolf, most Rocky Mountain elk populations and black bear. In the parts of British Columbia not covered by guiding territories, approximately 20 percent of the province and mostly in the southern half and north east, resident hunters and those that accompany them have access to 100 percent of the harvest.

Resident hunters are recognized as having a harvesting priority over non-resident hunters. Hunting and fishing is a key part of many British Columbian families’ lives and the ministry is committed to keeping it this way. In fact, the increase in resident hunters from 82,000 ten years ago to over 102,000 today is in part because of resident hunter recruitment and retention strategies introduced and implemented over the last 10 years.

The decision on wildlife-harvest allocation also reflects the government’s commitment to resident hunters. Under the decision, resident hunters continue to be recognized as having priority over non-resident hunters and will continue to harvest approximately 92 percent annually. Resident hunters make an important contribution toward the economy in this province and make large and ongoing contributions to wildlife stewardship.

The guide outfitter industry also plays a valuable role, encouraging tourism and providing income for British Columbia residents and families. Out-of-province guide-outfitter clients are some of the highest spending tourists per capita in British Columbia. These clients also pay fees and surcharges that benefit the province and Habitat Conservation Trust Fund, and royalties to the province. The ministry remains committed to maintaining the viability of the guide outfitter industry while ensuring resident priority.

Between 2013 and late fall 2014, representatives from the BCWF and GOABC met with ministry staff to review allocation policy and make recommendations on how to improve wildlife allocation. Recommendations forwarded to the Minister by GOABC and BCWF included replacing policies and procedures developed in 2007 with set allocation splits. The minister endorsed the recommendation to have set splits in order to achieve certainty and stability in wildlife allocation. These set splits reflect a balanced approach to allocation, with neither the BCWF nor GOABC receiving the splits they requested.

Government’s intent is for a consistent and transparent policy that is fair to all wildlife user groups, where conservation comes first, First Nations’ harvesting interests are met, and resident hunters receive priority allocation. The harvest allocation decision meets this intent, and will ensure that the $350 million that hunting brings to the British Columbia economy (from both guides and residents) continues to be viable for years to come. Now that a decision is made, the ministry is hopeful that resident hunters and the guide outfitter community can work together with government to focus on the mutual goals of all hunters: wildlife and habitat conservation, and ensuring sustainable and improved hunting opportunities.

Thank you for your interest in the management of wildlife in British Columbia. For more information on wildlife harvest allocation, I ask you to please visit, and encourage other concerned residents to visit, the Wildlife Harvest Allocation Decision 2015 Frequently Asked Questions document, available online at:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...n-2015-FAQ.pdf .

Sincerely,

Tom Ethier
    Assistant Deputy Minister
    Resource Stewardship Division

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Most recent allocation propaganda

My response:

Tom,

Please understand that resident hunters aren't so daft as to be unable to see through the problems with your response.

1.) Comparing allocated species to unnallocated species is comparing apples to oranges. This issue is not about species that are unnalocated it is about species that are allocated! Guide outfitters have the same opportunities as residents when it comes to species that are not allocated. You are saying, "Go shoot a deer and be happy, the sheep and moose are for foreigners who can pay!"

2.) Residents will tell you what resident priority is! Please remember that your government represents us; this is not a monarchy! Residents are not satisfied with allocations the way that they are. We want a fair split that is in line with the majority of other jurisdictions in North America: 90% for residents and 10% for non residents on all species!

3.) It is well known that the recommendations made to minister Thomson were not followed in the new allocation policy.

Tom, what your party is doing is costing you votes. The chances of my vote going to your party in the next election are now almost non existent. Stop feeding resident hunters this tripe and change the allocation policy.

Damn , you got one too ? I thought I was special . Hey as far as spins go that is a good one that should make us common folk feel real good .

Yup, seems like he's the go-to now for it.

Ive received that from 5 people so far this morning
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

I no longer will support a 90-10 split, I am finally totally opposed to foreign hunting here in BC, with the possible exception of Aussies and Kiwis, but not Americans. etc.

I do support an 85ish-15 split so other CANADIANS can hunt here without a guide, but, this needs some careful work and strict enforcement.

We do NOT now have enough game for OUR wants and I see NO real benefit to allowing foreigners to kill our game under any circumstances.

LEH must go and all "guiding" be done by Canadians only, no exceptions.

Heard it all before. Even though Tom is not an elected official, it's clear who his bosses are.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Yeah, got that too.
    My reply:

Thank you for the generic response with the expected miss-information.

Your numbers are wrong because they have been provided to you by the GOABC. They don't want you to know the true numbers. And it seems you don't want to know them.

I worked hard and secured a good number of votes for my Liberal candidate, MLA Mike Morris.

In 2017, I will double my efforts to garner votes AGAINST Mr. Morris.

Your government has not heard or heeded the voices of many thousands of BC voters.

Your government has grossly underestimated the bitterness this situation has caused. And the bitter taste will still be there come ballot time. A careful scrutinizing of the vote margins from the past election clearly shows BC outdoors people have the numbers to change results.

The past few months have convinced me that we will not receive the respect we expected from our elected officials. But we will have the satisfaction of meting out the punishment the liberal government deserves. Bureaucrats will not escape a government change either.

You will be hearing from BC hunters again in 2017.

Til then, thanks for the slap in the face. It woke us up to the theft and sale of one of our most precious resources!!
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

every response from the government is exactly the same. They don't even bother with a new script, just rehash the same dribble,not one single original response.

Tom Either is the Assistant Deputy Minister, Resource Stewardship Division of FLNRO. His job depends on doing the Ministers bidding. As an ADM, in the Game of Thrones he would be:

Lord Varys (Conleth Hill)

A clever and enigmatic eunuch with a mysterious past, Lord Varys, is also known as "the Spider."

Varys serves on King Robert Baratheon's Small Council as his spymaster and is considered the "Master of Whisperers." He has a network of spies throughout KIng's Landing known as "little birds."

Although he outwardly appears scraping and obsequious he is also working an ulterior motive or angle to get information out of people. He is liked by few and trusted by fewer.

While he is scheming, Varys ultimately has his own code of honor.

He enjoys sparring with Lord Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish and Tyrion Lannister.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Great response Ambush.