Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: grizzly defence question

grizzly defence question

Lets just say you were doing a solo scouting/hunting trip in august and october in the kootenays. You were spending most of the time at or above the treeline. Would you feel safe with just a 308 (with premium ammo) for grizzly defence? Would you feel like bear spray is "better" if a bear charges over a 308? or would you lug up the short mossberg shotgun as well as safety.

I have never been to that area so I dont know how common grizzly encounters are over there. Every ounce counts on my pack but I dont want to get eaten either.

any suggestions would be helpful.
    thanks

(im all over my bear spray maintenance after that moose standoff post)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: grizzly defence question

Yes, I would feel absolutely safe with a .308

don't be scared, just go hunting chances are you wont get killed by one, and if you do, well it saves an elk or deer that you might have shot.

Can you ever be to careful?

being that you are asking, I'd say you kinda feel you should take more.
    for that reason alone, what can it hurt.
    no such thing as "too much" protection.
    it would be foolish to not at least have bear spray.

I would definitely take bear spray but whats better? Shoot a charging bear with a 308 4 times and hope it doesnt have enough life to harm you or spray it? You can only do one if you are alone.

I just want to know if the above options are reasonable or enough people say "there is no way I would go into that wilderness alone without a shotgun"
    I tend to think bear spray first then start shooting is best but what do I know. Ive never been in that situation. Just trying to get some info from you hunting vets.

Lots of studies/trials along with adding up the results of grizz encounters have found bear spray to be far more effective than a rifle.

except for him --> http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ken-Bear-Spray
    Last edited by Chango; 04-07-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Cant see bear spray ever being more effective than a a gun if it is windy & blowing towards you, then you are laying on ground eyes watering waiting to get eaten. Never seen a wind stronger than a bullet
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

get a 4 pack of Karelian bear dogs carry a Jack Russell for back up

I'd would opt for a kevlar armoured suit like the ones troopers wore in Star Wars because you never can be too safe. There was a time people went out into the wilderness unarmed and unconcerned. Most made it back OK, though I'm sure more got injured or killed during their drive home. What's so different now? Packing a rifle just because is a PIA.

When talking "Grizzly defense", cartridges, we're talking point blank muzzle velocity/energy, not 300+ meter knock down power. 308 has lots.