Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chehalis FSR Bear Hunting

Re: Chehalis FSR Bear Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by chrscott View Post
    Thanks Wentrot, are you talking about the East side of Harrison?
    Yes sir. Have only seen the odd crap this year but always enjoyed the trips up there last year. I am putting money on this current burst of sun getting things fired up....early yes, however every day out has the chance of being "the day"!

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    Yes sir. Have only seen the odd crap this year but always enjoyed the trips up there last year. I am putting money on this current burst of sun getting things fired up....early yes, however every day out has the chance of being "the day"!
    I was up all the way up to clear creek hot springs and back, and a bunch of the slashes on the right side on East Harrison FSR on Sunday and Monday, didn't see any sign, but did see a doe and her fawn. There was a TON of traffic up there on Sunday.

Thanks for the info guys.

One last question... Is it worth heading out in the rain? My understanding is that bears prefer sunny weather.

I am thinking there might be less hunting pressure out there, if the weather isn't so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by chrscott View Post
    Thanks for the info guys.

One last question... Is it worth heading out in the rain? My understanding is that bears prefer sunny weather.

I am thinking there might be less hunting pressure out there, if the weather isn't so nice.
    Once hot spring weather kicks in the coolers cloudy days or light rain are better than sunny. Remember in the spring bears still have there winter coat.

I can't see wearing a black winter coat being comfortable on hot sunny days

Heading up for a ride to Wilson lake today.If nothing else i will get some great pics.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

No bear sign yet and i was up high and low.Bad washout up Wilson lake road so did not get far up there.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

I never see bears in the rain, never seen one shot in the rain either. They don't like to get wet, but right after a rain, when the sun is coming out, they move.
    "I prefer the pori to the imprisonment of streets, the twinkling stars to lamps, the sigh of the primeval forest to the tramp of thousands of human feet."................James Sutherland

Quote Originally Posted by Dre View Post
    I never see bears in the rain, never seen one shot in the rain either. They don't like to get wet, but right after a rain, when the sun is coming out, they move.
    Seen and shot bears in the rain

Heavy rain yes they seem to hunker down but if they waited for rain to stop in coastal areas to come out and feed they would be really skinny

You're right, they wouldn't be doing too well on the coast if they waited for the rain to stop. I guess I just haven't seen them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Seen and shot bears in the rain

Heavy rain yes they seem to hunker down but if they waited for rain to stop in coastal areas to come out and feed they would be really skinny
    "I prefer the pori to the imprisonment of streets, the twinkling stars to lamps, the sigh of the primeval forest to the tramp of thousands of human feet."................James Sutherland

I know that there are bears west of harrison, a few big ones too. There are a few roads that have been deactivated in the last few years, no vehicle traffic at all. Hike those roads, you can be surprised at what's around the corner..