Thread: Good duck recipes

Good duck recipes

Been some time since the season end and still have some birds in the freezer... Two full and some breasts.

Thought this might be a nice place to post some recipes. Hoping to get some new ones myself.

Thus far my favourite, passed down from my uncle:

3/4 cup bbq sauce (any kind)

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1 cup brown sugar--- you could even go 3/4 cup of this.

wrap strips of bacon around breast. kind of helps if you use a roller pin on the bacon to flatten it out, allows you wrap around the meat a little easier. Cook em hot and keep me a little rare on the inside

got some good ones?

Sarge

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Good duck recipes

Get a pot of water going and season it with some salt and peper. When it gets to a good boil add the duck breast and a rock. About 15 mins later turn off the pot and allow to cool. When cools down enough throw the duck breast away and eat the rock. Hehe
    Thats all I got but I'll try yours if I get the urge to duck hunt again.

I soak any duck/goose, cut up into 1/2" strips in real orange juice, or pineapple juice for 24ish hours.
    Pour off the juice after 12hrs, then resoak in fresh juice, for another 12hrs.
    Montreal steakspice and a sillet.
    If u cook it to well done, the juice makes it tender.
    No juice = rubber biscuit.
    I prefer, medium/well for fowl.

Took some goose and sliced the breast into steaks. Soaked for 15 minutes in some milk, rinsed off and seasoned with some steak spice, salt/pepper. BBQ to medium rare, tasted like steak to me !

Milk cuts out that game/bird taste, buddies uncle told us this so we tried it. Havent tried it on ducks yet, but last ones i had tasted like "pond" so will give it a try on the next round.
    Last edited by Gone_Fishin_; 04-06-2015 at 08:26 AM.

Sound good so far! I heard orange cuts the games taste but I didn't know milk did.. Those sound good I'll try em both!

anyone make duck broth? Figuring ill do that with the carcass

I use a Cajun seasoning I buy at the superstore. You can use any seasoning. I trim the duck breasts into strips. Salt/pepper and let sit overnight in the fridge. Then is mix a decent amount of the Cajun Seasoning into some all purpose flour, dredge the strips and pan fry in a good olive oil.

I use a ranch dip that I add some cayenne pepper to give it some heat. Really simple to make, and better to eat

My buddies Hudson and Charlie like them just plain seared in a pan over kibble.

I find mallards are so delicious as is that I sure as hell wouldn't ruin the flavour with elaborate marinades or lengthy juice-soaking processes.

What we do is put half an onion and pieces of apple in the body cavity, season with marjoram and a tiny bit of pepper and roast covered in an oven. Each bird is different of course, some younger ones will cook in an hour and a half and some older one (my wife calls them rubber duckies) are tougher and take over two hours.

I don't find ducks "gamey" but if you rupture an intestine cleaning it or if it is gut shot then that flavour gets into the meat then that might be defined as gamey. I make sure I get all guts out including the lungs in that case and rinse thoroughly with apple cider vinegar and then fresh water.

Widgeons are tasty like that too.

Pintails on the other hand, on the coast at least have a kind of mussely, slightly fishy flavour. Some soaking and marinading might work for you. I've never tried it.

We cook pintails by cutting the bird in half and cooking it in a Thai curry-coconut milk sauce or alternatively, slow-cook it in a Chinese red sauce, which is basically five spice mix with an emphasis on star anise. You can add extra star anise.

Postscript April 8: Had a widgeon done in method one last night and it was choice!
    Last edited by MichelD; 04-18-2015 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I find mallards are so delicious as is that I sure as hell wouldn't ruin the flavour with elaborate marinades or lengthy juice-soaking processes.

What we do is put half an onion and pieces of apple in the body cavity, season with marjoram and a tiny bit of pepper pepper an roast covered in an oven. Each bird is different of course, some younger ones will cook in an hour and a half and some older one (my wife calls them rubber duckies) are tougher and take over two hours.

I don't find ducks "gamey" but if you rupture an instestine cleaning it or if it is gut shot then that flavour gets into the meat then that might be defined as gamey. I make sure I get all gut sout including the lings in that case and rinse thoroughly with apple cider vinegar and then fresh water.

Widgeons are tasty like that too.

Pintails on the other hand, on the coast at least half a kind of mussely, slightly fishy flavour. Some soaking and marinading might work for you. I've never tried it.

We cook pintails by cutting the bird in half and cook it in a Thai curry-coconut milk sauce or alternatively, slow-cook it in a Chinese red sauce, which is basically five spice mix with an emphasis on star anise. You can add extra star anise.

Postscript April 8: Had a widgeon done in method one last night and it was choice!
    Well said. Ducks don't need anything much at all. I can't believe what people put on ducks or game meat just to cover the taste. And don't get me started on what people put on salmon and steelhead it's just wrong! If a person can't appreciate wild game taste for what it is they should just go someplace where they are asked if they want fries with that.

"If a person can't appreciate wild game taste for what it is they should just go someplace where they are asked if they want fries with that."

Couldn't agree more.

I also can't figure out why people make sausage and pepperoni out of game meat, but that's just me. Can't rememeber the last time I ate even a bite of pepperoni.
    Last edited by MichelD; 04-19-2015 at 03:03 PM.