Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Versa Max why not?

Re: Versa Max why not?

versa max rem.. there is a 900$ one and a1500$ one ... if looking used... i bought a used 1500$ the other day for 800 like new . to bad i get shoulder surgery in Nov...

Read enough waterfowling stuff and you will see issues with all the guns, no matter what the brand. SBE's have to be run fairly dry in colder weather, a Wolff spring set is the way to go once the original gives up. One fella in our group had trouble with the ejector retaining pin bending and breaking on his Extrema. He also has a Super Vinci, says he doesn't shoot it as well as the Beretta. Me, I have an SBEII, no issues with it, but, have switched to using SXS's instead for 98% of my shooting. The SBE only comes out when snows are circling and hanging in the wind, in the later AM period. The 3" in the SXS works well otherwise. The bulk of what I have seen would suggest that in the basement level guns the Stoger M3000 & 3500 work well, the Franchi, the Weatherby PA-08 also does. The old Stoeger M2000 and 2500(?) were apparently pretty bad, same stuff for the later 1187's, and even the 870's. Maxus and SX3 are another price point gun that for the most part work pretty well from what I have seen. The new A5 is perhaps a bit new, to really get a good picture on it yet. The one constant seems to be that people like the recoil reduction of the gas-ops over the inertia guns, which puts Beretta and Browning/Win/Rem in the running in that regard for a lot of people.
    Can't really be a fair judge of that part of it, as recoil from 1-3/8oz 3-1/2's out of the Benelli doesn't bother me, didn't with an 870 I had either. I shoot 3" 1-1/4oz out of my SXS without a recoil pad, wood buttplate, no issues.

I ended up getting an A400 and so far it has been great. Out today in the pouring rain it was muddy and it just kept on shooting. I cleaned it up and ready to go again.

Haven't seriously hunted waterfowl in about 20 years. But it sure seems a lot of guys won't use anything but semi's. Back in the day they were rare to see. Whatever happened to the side by side or pump guns anyway. Generally more reliable and cheaper to buy. I have a number of shotguns but only two semi's and both are Remington 48s.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

side by sides can rarely handle steel and semis are just way to cool

Quote Originally Posted by ZacNap View Post
    side by sides can rarely handle steel and semis are just way to cool
    Why wouldn't a side by side work? All you need to do is ream the choke out to Mod or Imp from my understanding. And surely you can get a newer one already made for steel. I don't know I've never looked.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Recoil is the key semis (well the newer ones) lesson recoil so there is less muzzle jump therefore easier to track on the second shot, like the 20g of old it is really physics , nothing wrong with o/u or side by side ,pumps all what your endeavouring to accomplish ,I want to kill more waterfowl ,I do it best with a semi , plus I can shoot 2 boxes and not feel it as much ..

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn-Redneck View Post
    Looking forward to hearing the comparison
    So the duck season is long since finished around here, and thought I'd get back to this one. To recap, my buddy and I started the season with two brand new shotguns, mine was a Remington VersaMax Waterfowler Pro, and his a Beretta A300 Xtrema. Mine worked will all loads, even mixed loads, at all times, in all conditions. His did not. He had FTEs and FTFs at times. At one point he had his Beretta in pieces in the blind trying to figure it out. In fairness, it was raining that day, complete downpour, and I did see him poking some decoys around the water with mis muzzle. Also, I always clean my gun, while he generally does not. So, there's that. But, we both bought the waterfowler models so we wouldn't particularly have to worry about the conditions we were putting them through. In conclusion, VersaMax worked flawlessly, Beretta A300 did not ... BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! Before all the Beretta lovers get bent out of shape, I will say the following : He absolutely loves his Beretta and wouldn't trade it for my VersaMax. In fact, he didn't even want to try the VersaMax, he just caressed his Beretta, and whispered sweet nothings to it. Myself, I really liked the feel of his Beretta, and really enjoyed shooting it. I like trying as many guns as I am allowed too And, in trying his, I was certainly convinced to reach out and touch some more Berettas, they seem to fit me well, and it could be argued that I shot it better, but I prefer slightly shorter barrels, and his Beretta was a couple inches shorter than mine, which could have made that difference ... So, in actual conclusion, VersaMax performed flawlessly, no issues, love it; but, his Beretta had a great feel, fit me nicely, and was enjoyable to shoot. Maybe just don't poke your decoys around the water with your Beretta's muzzle and hopefully it won't have any FTEs or FTFs ... both great guns!

Quote Originally Posted by LeverActionJunkie View Post
    Where did you find your waterfowl pro? Was it local? I've been looking and don't see many close by.
    Sorry, didn't see this earlier, so hopefully you were able to find yourself one! But, for whatever it's worth, I found my VersaMax Waterfowler Pro at reliablegun.com in Vancouver.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    No need to wait Beretta hands down
    Not so fast, see above