Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Versa Max why not?

Versa Max why not?

I originally posted this in the gun talk section but nobody wanted to talk about it there so I will repost it here. I have been looking at a versa max lately, I know the early runs of this gun had some issues but apparently the latest one have been very good. I am most interested in the "waterfowl pro" model. I have read thru a lot of the thread on shotgun world. Who has them and how have they been. It would be a waterfowl only gun. Buddies hunt with A400's and they are nice and may just go that way when the time comes. Just looking at another option the things they dislike about their guns are different on the versamax. Currently shooting a Benelli supernova which I like but now want a quality semi auto.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Versa Max why not?

keep the supernova we need the extra guy to increase our bag limit.the last thing we want is you hitting ducks.
    Last edited by pnbrock; 03-31-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Just trying to keep up. Then I can make 3 crappy shots instead of 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn-Redneck View Post
    I originally posted this in the gun talk section but nobody wanted to talk about it there so I will repost it here. I have been looking at a versa max lately, I know the early runs of this gun had some issues but apparently the latest one have been very good. I am most interested in the "waterfowl pro" model. I have read thru a lot of the thread on shotgun world. Who has them and how have they been. It would be a waterfowl only gun. Buddies hunt with A400's and they are nice and may just go that way when the time comes. Just looking at another option the things they dislike about their guns are different on the versamax. Currently shooting a Benelli supernova which I like but now want a quality semi auto.
    A300 Xrtrema with KO or Winchester SXIII($1200 range) stay far away from Remington S/As
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    A300 Xrtrema with KO or Winchester SXIII($1200 range) stay far away from Remington S/As
    Was considering a versa max a while ago too, why do you say to stay away from the remmy semi-autos?
    See the swing...hear the ding!

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn-Redneck View Post
    I read all that info from the past as well and heard the new has improved. Not much of a following in my area for them. One on gun nutz for +\- 750$ if i remember correct.
    Can always buy a used gun and try it. Sell it for the same price if its not your thing!

Curtis

They are heavy by todays standard for a semi shoty.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Was considering a versa max a while ago too, why do you say to stay away from the remmy semi-autos?
    I have known 3 guys who shoot them they have been back for warranty more than they have been in the field, one fellow traded his in after 4 trips to the warranty depot(up to 4 months turn around) before he got a box of shells fired. Both my self and several partners use Beretta Xtrema 391s and A300(be sure to get the 3.5" with KO) we are HARD on shotguns shooting cases of shells in a season in all conditions salt water to desert, rain shine -20 and snow. I know of 1 failure in all that time and believe we don't baby our guns. The A400 is a good gun but I have had reports of the in stock recoil system pinching cheeks if the gun is not mounted right and the A300 gives you every bit as good a shotgun for $600 less. In the end buy what you want but guns in the shop don't kill birds in the marsh.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 04-01-2015 at 08:20 AM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

SBEII - I know a guy in Saskatchewan who has put more shot through his SBEII in five years, than most water fowlers would in two lifetimes, and he has never had a problem with it - apart from replacing the firing pin because he plain wore it out!

Inertia! - Inertia guns keep you shooting - when the gas stops blowing others back!
    Last edited by Ranger95; 04-01-2015 at 08:54 AM.
    One rifle - one planet - Holland's 375.

People are like balls of yarn, for the most part they are boring and useless - but I still get a lot of pleasure watching them unravel!! (GC)

Gods own country

"Inertia! - Inertia guns keep you shooting - when the gas stops blowing others back!"

Good one R95, I almost forgot it was April 1st Lol
    Well we have 2 SBEs in our group and both have been in for warrantee and still do not cycle all shells well. I can say out Berretta's take a licking and keep on ticking. Fowl and I shoots LOTS in all weather and none of our Berettas have every let us down, filled with mud, dust, snow or water. I am not saying SBEs aren't good guns (If I couldn't have a Beretta or a SX2or3 I'd own one)but I assure you the Gas system in Berettas do not fail and the inertia system is not the end all and the be all.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 04-01-2015 at 09:22 AM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"