Thread: Honey on my moose jerky

Honey on my moose jerky

After the brining stage of my moose jerky, Can I put a little honey or something on the meat just prior to dehydrating (Cabelas large dehydrator)or would I have to add the honey during the soaking process.
    Just would like the jerky a little more moist with a bit of smokey sweetness.
    I've tried mesquite with a bit of sweeter spices but they just seem to come out as spicy jerky. Cant really taste any sweet smoky flavour.
    Any ideas??

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Honey on my moose jerky

Try adding done maple syrup to your brine.
    Resident hunter and proud of it!

I use a smoker to do my jerky, and I make lots and lots of jerky every year. But there's nothing wrong using the drying method either. What I do with dam near every batch is try a bit before it's really done, I have a bowl and a brush ready to go with Soya sauce, garlic powder, pepper to taste, and depending what else I think the jerky needs to turn out finger lick'in good I add it too the bowl. I've tried some with Maple Syrup also, it tastes great! And, I'm not sure if you vacuum pack your jerky, but I do all mine this way, I have my bowl with all my spices and a brush where I'm going to pack the jerky, I then place the pieces on a plate a few at a time, I brush each one with a bit of the mix until I've got the amount for a bag, now I put the plate with the moistened jerky in the microwave for about 50 seconds, I check the temp when it comes out and it should be at least 165 to 170 degree's. Now I take the plate with the steaming hot jerky in it and try to dump it into the bag without dropping most of it on the floor! My 135 pound fat dog Coal loves this part, he lay's under the table and any that hit's the floor, he knows it's his! The reason I do my jerky this way is I got sick of the crap you pay up to 50 bucks a pound for in the stores and it's so bloody dry and chewy it's dam near impossible to eat! Mine is real moist, it's easy to eat, and everyone loves it, so I must be doing something right? Most guys that butcher there own animals would slap me if they saw the cut's I use for my jerky, but when you think about it, jerky is the most expensive cut on any animal, don't believe me? Go to the meat store and see what a real good porterhouse steak is worth, note the weight, now take a look at the price of there jerky, now compare the weights, you'll find the jerky is easy double or triple the amount as a good steak! And have fun making it, you'll find it very rewarding when it turns out perfect!!!

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

I do not have a smoker, but have made lots in a dehydrator, using the liquid smoke in brine makes it pretty good, but nothing like true smoked treats lol
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

you can add just before dehydrating but thin the honey out first with water, otherwise it may not dehydrate the way you like and become gooey sticky mess.
    you can also add to your brine. I use honey and garlic with some liquid smoke and water, the liquid smoke is strong so i adjust by 2 drops at a time.

Not sure if it will translate to jerky , but when I candy my sockeye I add a tsp of maple syrup to the vacuum bag just prior to sealing it up , always turns out moist , sweet , and ever so delicious.