Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another pack threadpike

Yet another pack thread

I know !
    Another pack thread,Just what we need to see !!!!

But it in all seriousness I figured I needed to put it out there anyways. For the past few years I have been running a MR Crewcab. It's been a solid bag with more organization than I need and totally bombproof !

HOWEVER, I've always felt it to be a bit "busy" almost to much in the way of pockets etc.
    With that in mind, wanting something somewhat simpler and perhaps with better "lift" .
    To that end I just about pulled the trigger on a metcalf.
    Like many others my goal is to have a good quality pack that's not overkill to run as a larger daypack yet come out heavy. Hence the Crewcab/metcalf school of thought.
    I have yet to overnight out of my Crewcab but I do like to have the ability to spike out for a couple days if necessary.So whatever route I end up going here I want to have that capability.

Now I feel that it may be prudent to look at the "other" brands that we in the hunting world rave about. I have read enough online to make my eyes burn ,talked to whom I am able.
    Now it's time to turn to the HBC community.
    Is there anybody out there on south Vancouver island with ANY of the "other" popular hunting packs like kifaru or maybe someone actually has a metcalf or even a( sneeze,sneeze-cough,cough ) kuiu.
    OR any other solid pack that would be willing to show it off in person.

If anybody would be willing to meet in person and show off their pack please shoot me a PM and I would be happy to arrange a meeting!

Thanks in advance-Mike
    Last edited by mad_mallard; 03-30-2015 at 07:38 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Yet another pack threadpike

Get a 6500 bag for your MR frame and be done with your search.

Check out the kifaru mountain rambler...or even stone glacier is sweet too.

I'm a long ways away sorry I can't be of more help, but imo, the DT line sounds just like what you need lol. I own a DT1 and it synchs down small for a day pack, yet opens up to 7200 ci for long hauls. There's only 4 pockets on the bag, 2 side and 2 front, I wouldent say it's the best for "organizing" your gear, but if you like to stuff most of your gear into one big bag, then it may be something to look at. As for comfort, it's a Cadillac of backpacks, although iv never tried any other hi end packs, once I threw this one on, there was no need to try another.

My Kifaru Timberline with Duplex will be here in a couple weeks, if your up this way send me a PM. I used a Dragonfly for the last few years and felt I needed to upgrade.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Wish I could help ya.....with a NICE frame I'd suggest the 6500 bag as a starting point.

That said, a Kifaru DT1 is a hell of a pack and worth looking at. The DT2 could fit your needs a bit better being a bit smaller for a daypack, etc.

Love my Kuiu. Been an awesome pack with some hard use. And close to a 5lb savings just in the pack to the MR.
    I hunt sheep to see over the next mountain, not to measure the next trophy.

I do appreciate the comments thus far.
    I have strongly considered the MR 6500,Just seems to be a bit much for my purposes.Im usually day hiking for mulies and blacktails.
    So my most common use is packing a fully deboned deer plus the headgear.with my day gear,enough stuff for overnight if need be and ocaisionally spotter and tripod.
    The crewcab worked well overall just had more pockets and complicated than I need. The reason I went MR originally was the "Bombproof" factor,that it certainly is.
    However I want to be open to Other brands/models as well. Just would be nice to see something else in hand for comparison is all.

So,again if anybody on south van Isle has a pack that I may be interested in seeing Let me know. !

Alps commander pack and frame

Quote Originally Posted by stoneguide View Post
    Love my Kuiu. Been an awesome pack with some hard use. And close to a 5lb savings just in the pack to the MR.
    I just bought a kuiu 5200 pro. I only have 2 days hiking with 35lb in it so far. The suspension system seems awesome so far. I ran the eberlestock dragonfly for years and love that pack buts its heavy and when the load is near 100lbs its not real comfortable. I absolutely love the layout and the gun scabbard though.