Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: provincial government is offering fisherman in southeastern B.C. a reward

provincial government is offering fisherman in southeastern B.C. a reward

The provincial government is offering fisherman in southeastern B.C. a reward if they catch pike in the hopes it will stop an influx of the invasive species to the region.

It's called the Pike Reward Reward Program.
    "What we are asking people to do is bring the head of the pike they catch and kill on the Columbia into our Castlegar Front Counter office during regular hours," said Matt Neufield, a fish biologist with the province.
    "We want to know a little bit about where pike are being caught and learn a bit more about distribution and angler catch."
    Each pike head submitted to the program will earn fisherman one entry into a draw for four prizes of $500 retail credit at local sporting goods stores.
    Neufeld says pike has become a growing problem over the past five years as they slowly make their way downstream from Montana, where they were illegally introduced about 40 years ago.
    He says pike are very good predators who consume large numbers of fish every day, which threatens native species like rainbow trout, white fish and Kokanee.
    The program is part of a larger pike control project along the Columbia river that began last year. While Neufeld says it is too early to gauge the full impact pike could have, it is essential to take preventative measures now.
    "The light at the end of the tunnel is that we potentially have the ability to change course here and have a beneficial impact on the native fish population of the Columbia."
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

2. Site Sponsor

Re: provincial government is offering fisherman in southeastern B.C. a reward

If they're so concerned about Invasive species like Pike, Bass, Perch, Etc..... Why aren't we allowed to spear them? You wouldn't believe how many easy shots on invasive fish I pass on every dive. No Spearfishing at all in Region 4. WTF?

how the F are they "invasive"?
    they are getting here naturally, just like the walleye in the columbia.
    but typical BC, how dare there be other fish than rainbows.

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    If they're so concerned about Invasive species like Pike, Bass, Perch, Etc..... Why aren't we allowed to spear them? You wouldn't believe how many easy shots on invasive fish I pass on every dive. No Spearfishing at all in Region 4. WTF?
    because the pencilpushers need work, they need to scribble down rules and regulations and redtape.
    cant have things being all simple and making sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
    how the F are they "invasive"?
    they are getting here naturally, just like the walleye in the columbia.
    but typical BC, how dare there be other fish than rainbows.
    How are pike getting into the water systems naturally? They're put there by people who want to catch pike and there won't be any rainbow after pike take hold.

how are the walleye ans sturgeon getting in there?
    wouldnt the pike be the same?

Sounds like it's a project for your local club to take to BCWF for a resolution. This could just be a leftover rule from the old days. Or ask your regional ministry office.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

what species do they let you spear?

where it is allowed, i meant?
    im guessing just coarse fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
    how are the walleye ans sturgeon getting in there?
    wouldnt the pike be the same?
    Both pike and walleye are not native to pacific drainages. Someone put them there....whether it was done by individuals or department of natural resources it doesn't matter. The states should not make decisions for us.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....