Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 west coast salmon fishing predictions?

Re: 2015 west coast salmon fishing predictions?

hey guys, there are no shitty days salmon fishing.
    landing a good one is simply a bonus.
    we had a whopper on this past season in nootka.
    got it right to the back of the boat then it bent the hook and was off.

something I heard, and makes a lot of sense, is that those really big ones that are finally landed, were probably caught one or two times earlier and partially played out and it's on their second or third return in that the lucky guy that hooks them up gets to land them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8 white hunter View Post
    There won't be much out there DFO raised the quota for the guides.
    hehe, no, not yet anyways... but the proportion of quota given to commercial and FN is way out of line with the way it should be... the resident fisherman is again being unfairly allocated and regulated. the guides if they choose, can also buy into the halibut quota debacle and big $$$ trumps the little guy again... maybe just a matter of time when guides get a larger portion of the share or regulations favouring them over the average resident fisherman... wouldn't put it past either political parties (federal and provincial) and nothing they do now suprises me at this point.... they're seemingly blinded by $$$ and greed and keeping they're special interest and corporate friends happy...

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Got first albacore tuna trip booked outta Westport this August. Pretty excited, but from the footage I've seen it's just not quite the same as hooking 20+ springs on a morning bite Sure like canned tuna though!
    Do they jig for them or troll? The "hunt" is awesome out there in the blue water ~60 miles out; cool marine life and getting them on the troll is fun as you wait to double, triple or quad up. All hell breaks out with a few on running and fighting like crazy....clearing lines, bullets torpedoing down once they're hooked. Then the back of a 30' Sportfisher looks like a mass murder happened.

I would HIGHLY recommend smoking some loins....SO good! We didn't can any....just smoked a bunch of loins and then packed a bunch of loins up for cooking in nice portions.
    Last edited by MB_Boy; 04-01-2015 at 01:41 PM.

I guess they troll till you get into em then do a 'bait stop', everyone dangles a live 'chovy and hook a bunch. Repeat till there's 220 fish in the hold. Go home with 20 each, definitely try some smoked too! Big fan of smoked canned as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post

something I heard, and makes a lot of sense, is that those really big ones that are finally landed, were probably caught one or two times earlier and partially played out and it's on their second or third return in that the lucky guy that hooks them up gets to land them.
    Still some good fish from the Conuma every year for sure!
    There are always feeder springs mixed in with the spawners offshore especially. Bonked a 40# off the hwy a few years ago and it was immature, big ole chrome buck. Woulda been a 50#er the next year!

They will all be radio active
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Quote Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post

Nope just never let your flasher leave the water with big ones untill it near dead
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Quote Originally Posted by dougan View Post
    Nope just never let your flasher leave the water with big ones untill it near dead
    Take the flasher right off if you want to catch bigger fish...

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Take the flasher right off if you want to catch bigger fish...
    This! In-line flasher is nothing but trouble, I much prefer running dummies off the cannon ball or even a daisy chain when things get real fancy.

Brad

looking forward to a few trips this year also... prob hit nootka and esperanza and maybe winter harbour. have to get up to Rupert soon also. here's a vid a friend of mine made of a trip we took the summerof 2013 to Bamfield... thought he did a pretty good job of putting it together... have to get out for tuna one of these days. I have the boat for it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRdnmKqVcIU