Thread: Teaching Youth

Teaching Youth

So I have read quite a bit but I would like to get peoples opinions on how to teach youth on high power rifles. I have two 11 year old daughters that just got their hunter numbers and will be joining me this year on the hunt. Some say start small and some say start them big. I have 2 matching model 99 .308 that I am willing to modify to fit them.

Lets hear your thoughts.

Thank you.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Teaching Youth

Start with a .22 and work up IMO

Both have shot the .22 quite a bit. Sorry I meant the next step after that.

If you want to start shooting the 308 try loading with Trailboss powder it turns out very light loads. After that you can make the jump to youth loads of H4895.The Trailboss loads hardly move the gun,close to zero recoil it is a good spot for kids to start. Try searching youth loads and you will get both of these for starting points.

I load 125grain nosler ballistic tips in front of 39 grains of reloader 7 in my sons 308 recoil is very manageable .He has no problem shooting it. However the 150 grain bullets were uncomfortable for him.. There are reduced recoil loads for 308 also
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

When my daughter was that age, almost more important than recoil was the fit of the gun. Recoil will be harder felt if the gun isn't fitting right and they're not comfy. Taking some out of the stock and adding a larger pad and or spacer as they adapt is one way. Reloading will help get some nice kid loads as suggested already.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I am fully willing to cut the guns and put on pads. Also I have shoulder pads for both.

My father wants has read to fit the guns properly and get recoil pads. Also make them stand with shooting sticks. The recoil at the bench is to hard.

My father in law says that it is better to go slow so that they don't get spooked. This way they will never flinch and be scared of the rifle ever. If they develop a flinch they will never get rid of it.

30-30 would be a good step up if you have one.
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

don't cut the guns down..kids grow..a bit longer gun will keep there face back from a scope or their own thumb.....if you cut the gun then in a year or two it is too small.....

if the kids have good form with the 22 they will be good to go with he savages...I have done just that in being the first time the big gun is fired it is at a deer an the kids do good....

it is infinitely more easy to scare a kid into a life long flinch or from shooting altogether by spending time bench shooting.....bench shooting is for sighting in not practice!!
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)