Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a crossbow

Re: Buying a crossbow

Thanks Nog....... The bad part is I might have to get one of them......
    Because in a sense, it's the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was because of who we've become. Which is, after all, why we left.

Bernard Stevens

Thumbs up Re: Buying a crossbow

Quote Originally Posted by Xbow View Post
    ....... The bad part is I might have to get one of them......
    Bad???
    Methinks once you shoot it a while, you'll come to the conclusion it is anything BUT!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Well after months of twiddling my thumbs I finally cracked and bought a lightly used Excalibur Axiom. Its ready to shoot, and I think ill head out today to put a few arrows through her. I've never shot a crossbow before, so I watched all the vids on excaluburs website and some others on youtube and it seems prettt strait forward. Any tips for a new shooter?

thanks,

Mike

Well I went out today and put a few dozen arrows through it. What a blast, I was blown away by the accuracy. Got the scope sighted in and it was bullseyes every shot after. Im hooked.

Ive taken many deer with my 2005 Excalibur Exocet over the years. I alternate between it and a 70# PSE XS Tree Stand GX, nearly the same velocity, with similar payload. This year I picked up and shouldered a Micro 315 while poking around a hunting store. After a little research I sold my Exocet to a friend and bought the Micro 315. It uses narrow, but heavy 150gn broadheads which as it turns out do less meat damage. I know the Micro series also includes the 335 and 355, but based on my experience with my Exocet I knew that the 315 was all I needed.
    Real world numbers over an F1 chrony has my model shooting @ 310fps with the "quills" as they are called, tipping the scales at 402.8 gn. The Micro series appealed to me as it is a very compact package that was basically the same as my Exocet, perfect for treestand or bush hunting. It also has an anti dry fire mechanism thats always a good idea.
    Last edited by center color; 11-16-2016 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling

I have an excaliber and I love it

I want to get a Excalibur 380 or a 355 micro . so if you have to decide . what is the best for ground and stalk ? mostly large game like elk ..And what accessories would you suggest ? limb savers . dampers , slings ? ect ? better scope ? bolts and broadheads ?
    " Never tell me the Odds "

Quote Originally Posted by center color View Post
    Ive taken many deer with my 2005 Excalibur Exocet over the years. I alternate between it and a 70# PSE XS Tree Stand GX, nearly the same velocity, with similar payload. This year I picked up and shouldered a Micro 315 while poking around a hunting store. After a little research I sold my Exocet to a friend and bought the Micro 315. It uses narrow, but heavy 150gn broadheads which as it turns out do less meat damage. I know the Micro series also includes the 335 and 355, but based on my experience with my Exocet I knew that the 315 was all I needed.
    Real world numbers over an F1 chrony has my model shooting @ 310fps with the "quills" as they are called, tipping the scales at 402.8 gn. The Micro series appealed to me as it is a very compact package that was basically the same as my Exocet, perfect for treestand or bush hunting. It also has an anti dry fire mechanism thats always a good idea.
    VERY TRUE AS MY next one will be a 335 micro

Thumbs up Re: Buying a crossbow

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDEN TOP SNIPER View Post
    I want to get a Excalibur 380 or a 355 micro . so if you have to decide . what is the best for ground and stalk ? mostly large game like elk ..And what accessories would you suggest ? limb savers . dampers , slings ? ect ? better scope ? bolts and broadheads ?
    Quite a few questions there...

If you're thinking Elk, moose and larger deer, I'd strongly suggest the 380. That is what I run, and I know it is quite capable of taking the larger game we hunt.

Some may suggest the 355 due to it's slightly smaller size, but for the bigger critters, I suggest POWER is the way to roll.

"Best" for spot & stalk? No such thing in any crossbow. Frankly they are a pain in the ass for that application. They are cumbersome compared to any vertical bow or rifle. That said, I do it with my 380 all the time.
    The 355 might offer a slight advantage as it is indeed slightly smaller. Again, for the Big Stuff - to me the power consideration takes over.

As for accessories, the sky is really the limit. The out-of-the-box Excalibur is set up to do the job, and most will want to try that on a spell before getting into the add-ons. Some don't roll that way (myself included) and trick their bows out immediately.

Accessory Considerations

- Stringing Aid (a Must Have)
    - Custom String
    - Custom Arrows
    - Trigger Tech trigger
    - Aftermarket scope (endless variety) and / or HHA with aftermarket scope
    - Limb Savers are unnecessary IMHO
    - Sling will be required
    - And on it goes...

There is an excellent resource for those who run Excalibur Bows.
    They have their own Forum with very knowledgeable Folks who are generally willing to help.
    Here's the addy:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/index.php

Cheers & Welcome to The Madness!
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

WOW you better get the new 400 too be sure Iorn Noddel the micro 315 more left over for beer