Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a crossbow

Cool Re: Buying a crossbow

Quote Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
    Even if you practice over 2500 shots, the "ping!" can happen.

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Buying a crossbow

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" -JIMI (also RIP)

Well, after months of procrastination and research, I've finally gone over the deep end and bought myself a crossbow!

I ordered an Excalibur matrix 380 from a local archery store. The bad thing is, it's gonna take 7 days for it to get here! THE BOW IS SO SEXY! I JUST WANNA HOLD IT RIGHT NOW!

I was gonna get me a 405 but figured if I ever need to kill an f150, I'd just use a gun lol!

Any suggestions on what broad heads to use? Is it just a matter of preference?

Thumbs up Re: Buying a crossbow

Quote Originally Posted by gmachine19 View Post
    Any suggestions on what broad heads to use? Is it just a matter of preference?
    Congrats on the new bow! Methinks you will Love It!!

Broadheads and field tips will depend entirely upon the arrows you go with. If "stock", you'll need to run 150 grains in either head to create correct FOC. Type (fixed or mechanical, number of blades, etc) is largely a matter of personal preference. Use what flies best from your bow after trying a few.

I run custom Black Eagle Executioners, but will be switching to Zombie Slayers this summer. These are custom jobs, designed to shoot best with 125 grain heads. I use and greatly like NAP Expandable Spitfires in 125 grains. Fly Great and leave HUGE holes / blood trails!

Lot's of "customization" can be done with this bow. Mine is pretty well "Tricked Out" now, so feel free to ask about anything in this regard.

Again, Congratulations! Welcome to your new Addiction! LOL!
    And do feel free to ask anytime you might want some advice. Always willing to share what I have learned...

Cheers,
    Matt
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by mikeboehm View Post
    Always deals on Excalibur x bows on gun nutz
    what a piece of work tryin to get on THAT site....OMG...you'd think they were tryin to protect the freeworld from the boogy man...

Judging distance is the biggest thing and why you should practice. Get out and do some 3d shoots that allow crossbows. Bring a range finder but only use it after your shot. Guess the distance first. Once you have stalked within 60 yards up to a once in a lifetime buck and he is walking towards you looking right at you, you wont be able to switch from crossbow to range finder and back. Best to know your distances and how your bow performs at those distances. Nothing worse than aiming for 50 yards on a 30 yard shot and hitting shouler.

I picked up an Equinox in the fall, it is a thing of greatness, like a primitive cousin to my rifles but commanding it's own due respect. Something about razorblades and a single shot. the Excalibur forum is a great place to get answers to specifics as mentioned before. The company website has great tutorial vids as well. I love my crossbow and am also eager for the season to start! Good choice on the Excalibur Matrix.

Blah I changed my mind. I did not pick up the Matrix 380. Instead I went for the Matrix 405. Damn marketing got to me!!!

Haha. They are doing something right.

Been thinking about trying xbows also . Finally peeked into here and been looking around . Didnt realize how pricey some are .