Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a crossbow

Buying a crossbow

Hey all,

I'm thinking of getting into archery hunting and I'm leaning more towards on xbows. So i was thinking of getting excalibur xbows.

What considerations should I take in buying xbows? This is mainly for hunting.

What other xbow brands are good?

Can't really get a bow because of an old injury.

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Buying a crossbow

Main thing is to just get out there. There will be knowledgeable people chiming in who can advise. I just wanted to add my voice as someone who is a novice "bow" hunter after some 50+ yrs hunting with smoking sticks...I really enjoy getting out. my $.02

Excaliburs are bomb proof! Well at they very least the toughest bows out there. Xbows are stupid easy to shoot. Just like shooting a gun. I got one last year and love it. I must admit it gets a bit boring practicing cause you really don't need to. Just dial in the scope and all the increments are dead on. pop, bulls eye, pop bulls eye etc etc...
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

Cool Re: Buying a crossbow

Having owned three models of Excalibur's line, I may be slightly biased...

As Fred noted above, they are indeed THE Toughest crossbow out there.
    Add to that Extreme Accuracy, Easy to work on yourself (No press required. Stringing and adjustments are a Snap), Do Not have to shoot to de-cock, and a LOT more.

All of that coupled with THE Best Warranty in the business, Bar None.
    Most never need that service, but certainly nice to know if you ever encounter an issue.

Excalibur's "Matrix" line has re-written what a re-curve crossbow can be.
    MUCH more compact than previous versions, they are Light, Narrow, and Very Powerful!
    Their package deals come with all you need to hunt, but there are also a wide range of add-ons available for them.
    My current Matrix 380 is pretty well Tricked Out to the max at this point! LOL!

Best suggestion is to get to a few bow shops, and Handle as many of their models as you can. Even better if you know someone reasonably close that can get you out shooting (or a shop that will allow the same).
    Like a rifle, one will "Jump Out" as simply Feeling Right in your hands. Let The Bow pick you.

Another great resource is the Excalibur Forum. Lots of Great People, and most more than willing to share advise:
    http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/index.php

Welcome to your new Addiction!
    Since grabbing on to my first, the rifles spend a LOT more time whining in the safe than they used to!

Feel free to pm or ask here if you need any further advise. Always willing to help...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

All though I haven't had the hunting success that Nog has had, I second his opinion of Excalibur crossbows, I bought the Matrix 380 as my entry, and it is a joy to shoot. Like Nog, i've tricked out a few things - the bow is awesome.

I have to agree with all of the above posts.
    I've owned an Excalibur for a number of years and love it. They are tough, and have a number of advantages over compounds.
    As already stated, go out and handle a few of them, guaranteed you'll find one you like.

Always deals on Excalibur x bows on gun nutz
    Elite Energy 32

I shoot a Horton.. 175 lb compound. Kills shit dead...
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Thanks all. I'm saving up for a matrix 380 and I have the first week of September off! Gonna practice my stalk and hopefully bag 1!

Bowtec now owns xcaliber so you may start seeing them in the box stores.
    Better a sister in a w#ore house....then a brother with a mathews .