Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a crossbow

Cool Re: Buying a crossbow

Quote Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
    ... Didn't realize how pricey some are .
    LOL! Sky's the Limit as they say!
    While there are "inexpensive" crossbows out there, the old adage "You get what you pay for" largely applies.
    If you're looking for pin-point accuracy and speed at distance, be prepared to drop a few sheckles.

With all the add-ons, custom work and custom arrows, I'm now into mine approaching $ 2K!
    On the positive side of the coin, it will break tea-cups at 100 yards every single time, which turns hunting range efforts into "chip shots" under most conditions. And as I now carry it afield more than any of my rifles, I can justify the expense to myself (although we AIN'T going there with She Who Rules!! )

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Buying a crossbow

sry wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    LOL! Sky's the Limit as they say!
    While there are "inexpensive" crossbows out there, the old adage "You get what you pay for" largely applies.
    If you're looking for pin-point accuracy and speed at distance, be prepared to drop a few sheckles.

With all the add-ons, custom work and custom arrows, I'm now into mine approaching $ 2K!
    On the positive side of the coin, it will break tea-cups at 100 yards every single time, which turns hunting range efforts into "chip shots" under most conditions. And as I now carry it afield more than any of my rifles, I can justify the expense to myself (although we AIN'T going there with She Who Rules!! )

Cheers,
    Nog
    I have more $ in my Matrix than both my rifles combined - at least so far....
    Matrix 380
    Marlin 336 .30-30
    Marlin 444
    Henry H001 .22
    Winchester Model 12
    Mossberg Silver Reserve 20 gauge
    Weatherby Vanguard 2 .223
    Weatherby Vanguard 2 .257

and the collection keeps growing.....

Step once, look twice.

A day without sunshine is like, night!

Hey guys just got a smoking deal on an Excalibur vixen2...285 fps....question is...what would be the largest game you would wanna take with this I have read it's not as strong as some of the larger ones?...any info helps.. thanks

I watched my daughter blow a bolt right through the ribs of a 300 lb. Bear at 30 yds. with a 285 fps. X bow.
    If you have a sharp broad head, anything under 40 yds.

There's a Fella on the Excalibur Forum who has killed literally Hundreds of deer with his Vixen Bow.
    And every year many others do the same.

As 358 suggested, it should be fine for most critters within that 40 yards.
    That said, i personally would prefer something a tad heavier for moose / elk considerations...

Cheers,
    Nog

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

It will be mainly used on deer black bear and coyotes where rifles aren't allowed....great tips...wanted to learn the killing limits before going out like a hotshot and putting an animal down in humanly...thanks again guys...40 yards is the magic number

Have to add another +1 on Excalibur.
    I picked up a Matrix 355, which I have used for deer only. It is very accurate up for me on a target through 50 yards, although the shooter gets a bit off beyond that I limit my hunt shots to 40 yards to be sure.
    Power-wise, it passes through a deer easily, so careful what is behind, and I'm sure a bear or even moose is no issue for it. I picked up some lighted nocks which are great for finding my bolts after a shot. (Excalibur Diablo bolts, using Ignitors from Nu-Fletch, who were great to deal with)

One consideration with an x-bow - thinking of the fellow who said he had an injury that prevented use of a draw bow - is the power and dexterity needed to draw the x-bow back as well. It's a firm pull with both arms and upper body, and you also have to factor in the draw length. I'm a smaller guy and tried a friend's Exomax once; I couldn't even cock the thing due to the draw length and my short arms. However, the newer models with shorter limbs makes it significantly easier (the Exomax is a 16.5" stroke vs 12.2" on a 355)

The recurve limbs on the Excaliburs make them simple to work on compared to a compound x-bow. Changing or retensioning the string is a simple task.

I really like the new Micro series, the lighter weight and smaller size are very appealing and they are very comfortable in the hand (haven't shot one, though). I'd strongly suggest that anyone interested in a new x-bow to take a look at these.
    I also love the fact that Excalibur is a Canadian company with products made in Canada.

Bruce

On the positive side of the coin, it will break tea-cups at 100 yards every single time

Hey Nog what scope are you using.
    Because in a sense, it's the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was because of who we've become. Which is, after all, why we left.

Bernard Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by Xbow View Post
    ...Hey Nog what scope are you using.
    A Hawke 1.5-5x32 XB 30 Compact SR. 30mm tube. Red & Blue glass etched illuminated reticles.

Chose this one due Hawke's reputation with crossbow scopes, and the aiming points from 20 right out to 100 yards:

I don't understand why, but Hawke discontinued this model, and as far as I know no longer offer a 32mm objective in the 300mm tube. They do offer a few varieties in the 1" tube size though. I am much more than happy with mine, and will search long and hard for another exactly like it should I encounter any issues. It has served well, and survived many a rather severe beating...

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me