Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Easy KE calculator

Re: Easy KE calculator

Hermit, while many will argue that speed is the key, I would move up your arrow weight.

Keep in mind, the KE component we all refer to is being calculated at the bow. Your arrow must keep it's KE when it hits the mark. A heavier arrow will assist in penetration at the point of impact.

My rule of thumb matching an arrow to a bow, is 10 gr of arrow for each pound of bow. By that calculation, your arrow should be approximately 550 gr.

I shoot a 63 pound recurve, my arrow weighs in at 630 grains.

JT

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit
    Will I gain the needed 19 fps by cranking up the draw weight to the max 60lb for the bow?

Is the recommended KE game chart assuming the velocity was measures as the arrow leaves the bow or at point of impact? I assume velocity as the arrow leaves the bow??
    Bill, if you are comfortable at the poundage you are shooting now you may want to consider upping your arrow weight to gain some more KE.

If you feel that you can comfortably handle the 60# pull on your bow, then crank 'er up and test shoot some arrows. You will have to re-sight your bow, but you should just have to do a 'gang adjust' on your sight.

The key here is being able to draw your bow COMFORTABLY when in a hunting situation. That is, when it's cold out and your muscles are cold, or you are in an awkward position such as sitting, kneeling or bent over.

You've got to be able to draw back quietly, and without excessive movement.

So some testing is in order. Testing is fun though - just means you have a reason to go out and shoot!

As mentioned above - KE is usually measured within 10 yards of the bow. Downrange is, of course, a different story. I think it is important to start out with the maximum KE you can comfortably achieve at the shot, so as to maintain the greatest amount of KE downrange at the moment of impact and penetration.

Given the expense of building new and heavier arrows with broadheads I am going to try turning up the draw weight on the bow first. PUlling the 55 pounds is easy for me so I think the full 60 pounds will be okay but will test it out this afternoon.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Hermit, what kind of arrow are you shooting and what is the inside diameter? If you can get the tip out, slide a piece of polyprop rope up the inside. It will add about 100 grains and stiffen the arrow just a bit.

JT

Bow Walker Guest

But - add a drop or two of glue........you don't want the added weight sliding around on there during the shot.

Let us know how it went when you increased the #'s of your bow. That might just be satisfactory.

Another easy fix is to go up to a 125 grain head and increase the weight a tad at the nock end.

Bill, you also must keep in mind your arrow spine.
    A little stiff is good but a little weak is not.
    Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces!

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BOWSITTER
    Bill, you also must keep in mind your arrow spine.
    A little stiff is good but a little weak is not.
    can be said of a lot of things

I spent the Easter weekend with my girlfriend that I hadn't seen in two months. Believe me, a little stiff was good.

JT, I guess you found the bunny??

Hermit also with lower KE, it can be good to use a cut on impact type broadhead.
    Last edited by Nails; 04-12-2007 at 11:21 PM.
    Todd

Yup I bough 100 gr Montecs adn Slick tricks. I tuned up the draw weight and adjusted the sight. Can't readily tell much difference...
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."