Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Easy KE calculator

Bow Walker Guest

Easy KE calculator

Follow this link http://www.goldtip.com/calculators/k...?rnd=197743665 to use Gold Tip's KE calculator.

Here's their recommended KE for various types of game. Anything 50 ft lbs and up and you have nothing to worry about.

Although if you're going after Grizzlies with your archery tackle - not only do you need your noggin examined - but you might want to ensure a KE in or around 70 - 75 ft lbs of energy.

20 ft. lbs.Small Game - Birds, Rabbit, etc.. lbs
    30 ft. lbs.
    40 ft. lbs. Medium Game - Deer, Antelope, Bear
    50 ft. lbs. Large Game - Elk, Moose, Caribou
    60 ft. lbs.
    70 ft. lbs.
    80 ft. lbs.

This one will give you youe FOC on your arrows. Recommended here is anything between 10% and 14%.........some folks go as high as 15% or as low as 8%
    http://www.goldtip.com/calculators/foc.asp
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 04-08-2007 at 03:04 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Easy KE calculator

Thanks Dan Those were helpful. I seem to be about 11.9 on the FOC when I am using Lumenoks.
    Steve.
    It's better to pass on a shot that you wish later you took, then to take a shot and wish later you didn't.

415 grain arrow at approx. 260 fps = 62ft lbs

yup im ready to shoot an elk this year, i checked my dads setup and hes making 82 ft lbs.... :0 same arrows as me but there flying 40fps faster

thanks bw. I am 10.75 foc. not quite sure what that means.... if some one could fill me in. I am @ 67 ft lbs

Quote Originally Posted by BowWalker
    Although if you're going after Grizzlies with your archery tackle - not only do you need your noggin examined - but you might want to ensure a KE in or around 70 - 75 ft lbs of energy.
    Why? If I was the grizzly shooting type I'd have no issues tackling one with my current setup. And I damn sure ain't over 65 ft lbs.

Bow Walker Guest

Steve - how do you like the luminocks? Does it change the way you shoot at all?

dayort - F.O.C. is an arrow and arrow flight tuning tool. Here is an article that explains something about the principle behind F.O.C.

How to determine front-of-center (FOC) for arrows.

F.O.C. Guidelines
    http://www.socalarchery.com/Informat...f%20center.htm

Fine tuning arrow flight by using FOC. (Front of Center). This method of fine-tuning is something that not everyone knows about, but should. By determining your arrows FOC percentage, you will be able to make changes/adjustments to help increase arrow flight stability and range.

In order for an arrow to fly correctly, with the point in the lead and the fletching following, the center of mass must be located somewhere between the tip and the middle of the arrow shaft. If the center of mass is located close to the tip, the arrow will have good stability but will drop quicker because of the heavy nose. However, if the center of mass is located close to the center of the shaft, the arrow will have good range, but arrow flight may be unstable. As you can see the trade offs here are stable arrow flight vs. arrow range. The object is to find a happy medium that will allow you to have the best of both worlds.

The balance of an arrow can be modified by adding weight to either the front or the rear of the shaft as needed. Heaver vanes, for example, increase the weight of the rear portion of the arrow. Changing points can add weight to the front of the arrow.

There is no perfect F.O.C. for each setup. Here are some starting points.

FITA 11-16%

3-D Archery 6-12%

Field Archery 10-15%

Hunting 10-15%

Quote Originally Posted by bochunk2000
    Thanks Dan Those were helpful. I seem to be about 11.9 on the FOC when I am using Lumenoks.
    Steve.
    Luninoks are cool, can see the arrow go right thru the animal.
    I feel it adds weight to the wrong end of the arrow so you have to go with a heavier tip to bring the FOC back up, other than that it;s a great way to see your arrow in flight and for a vid cam.
    Dan should 3 - D with Steve and his luminoks so he can see where the kill is, LOLOLOL
    New 2011 PSE Omen Pro
    56/29 340 fps
    VICTORY ARROWS

Bow Walker Guest

Just 'cause you don't need glasses to shoot yet!! It's comin' wait for it.

Steve - how do you like the luminocks? Does it change the way you shoot at all?
    Dan I find they work great. They don't add much weight and I shhot 125gr braod heads so they seem to make my foc better. They are awesome to watch. They can help wth tuning too...see the arrow wobble or not etc.

You can watch some vides of how they work at:
    http://www.lumenok.net/photo.htm
    Steve.
    It's better to pass on a shot that you wish later you took, then to take a shot and wish later you didn't.

I estimate that my bow is set around 55 pounds. My arrows are travelling at 228 fps as measured with a cronograph. They weigh 369 grains with broadheads as measured on my scale. Using the linked calculator they have a kinetic energy of 42.6 foot pounds.

In order to achieve the magic 50ft/lb KE for big game I need to amp up the velocity of the arrows to 247fps.

Will I gain the needed 19 fps by cranking up the draw weight to the max 60lb for the bow?

Is the recommended KE game chart assuming the velocity was measures as the arrow leaves the bow or at point of impact? I assume velocity as the arrow leaves the bow??
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."