Thread: 2014 fall gobbler

2014 fall gobbler

Made it out opening day seeing 2 toms and working them a little before having 2 trespassers just out for a hike through the bush and stopping to say "HI" after walking within 10 yrds of me.
    I told them they were not suppose to be on the property and that they would have to leave and they did just that.
    No other birds were seen through out the day and NO birds or any sign seen on day 2 after wandering through an entire concession I have perm for..
    Decided on Saturday I would hang a stand and after doing so and hitting the field edge, sure enough there they were.
    15+ hens/poults and 1 tom and decided not to bring the gauge out with me..
    I hit the same property Monday morning where I seen the flock but decided to stay out of the bush and hunt a field edge for a bit hoping to have a tom commit and come into the calling.
    Around 7:20 I could hear birds starting to leave the roost in the bush and used kee kee's and yelps about every 5 or so mins listening for a response and keeping my eyes open.
    8:05 roll's around and I catch movement 80 yrds away and a bird enters the field.
    I yelped at it and it looks in my direction.
    I could tell it was a male, but wasn't sure if tom or jake as it continued to feed.
    No other birds entered the field as the turkey began to feed a little closer and I squinted to spot a beard.
    A few more yelps and getting looked at the turkey decided to wander towards me as I got myself ready and was still 100% sure it was a male.
    It hit 40 yrds or just shy of and I squeezed off and down he went flopping..
    Ran out, grabbed my bird and was right............
    Tom down!!!
    18 3/4 lbs
    matching 1 1/4" spurs
    If I really DUG into the chest.....
    1/8" beard......LOL!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2014 fall gobbler

Congratulations. I don't hunt turkeys in the fall...I keep them as my spring hunt.
    Where do you hunt ?
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

Re: 2014 fall gobbler

We can take 2 bearded birds in the spring and 1 of either sex in the fall here in Ontario....