Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just a backpacking food thread sheep hunt

Re: Just a backpacking food thread sheep hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon500 View Post

Keep bag Steak Spice in pack as well I found myself eating it at random times Dip a finger in haha

haha
    Good call. I forgot about that. I carry a jet boil pan with a montreal steak spice and garlic salt. Similar to the picture here! Yum sheep tenderloin with montreal steak cooked in sheep fat
    Last edited by teelt; 03-24-2015 at 06:43 PM.

Sweet .. but i cant see myself packing the the rest of the cooking stuff ,the pan and everything . maybe one day i will . i dont mind eating and living like a bird for a few days if it means keeping weight down and moving faster. Dont get me wrong . i love to eat . I need to get some dehydrate recipes tho . anyone care to share some ? and how you make them excatlty ?
    " Never tell me the Odds "

Awsome pic
    Quote Originally Posted by teelt View Post
    Good call. I forgot about that. I carry a jet boil pan with a montreal steak spice and garlic salt. Similar to the picture here! Yum sheep tenderloin with montreal steak cooked in sheep fat
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

Breakfast oat meal 2 packs or mountain house breakfasts?

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDEN TOP SNIPER View Post
    Sweet .. but i cant see myself packing the the rest of the cooking stuff ,the pan and everything . maybe one day i will . i dont mind eating and living like a bird for a few days if it means keeping weight down and moving faster. Dont get me wrong . i love to eat . I need to get some dehydrate recipes tho . anyone care to share some ? and how you make them excatlty ?
    jetboil pan weighs 10 oz. with the attached plate underneath so I don't mind it for fresh sheep tenderloin

Quote Originally Posted by mudbud View Post
    Home dehydrated is very easy. Make yourself chilli for dinner, exactly how you normally would, but try to keep the big chunks down to a minimum, dehydrate the leftovers, put in ziplocks in the freezer, they last forever. Do the same thing with spaghetti, kraft dinner with sausage, sidekicks, thick soups dehydrate very well, rice meals dehydrate well, can add chicken, tuna etc.

Another bonus is you don't have a 1 oz tinfoil bag and oxygen absorber to deal with either.
    I only take one MH cooking bag with me, rest of meals get put into ziplocks. Always have the titanium cooking pot to use just in case. Cuts down enough weight/bulk to have an extra days worth of grub. Pick meals with the most calories for weight, same with snacks. Calories keep you going! Love the sheep cooking pic, nothing like fresh sheep liver/heart to lift the spirits!

What do you think will be better to take along dehydrated apples or bananas

Quote Originally Posted by leadpillproductions View Post
    What do you think will be better to take along dehydrated apples or bananas
    Bananas for potassium

Last summer my buddy and I worked much harder than we should have on our early season sheep hunt. We didn't have complete beta on the area and ended up having to change drainages which was a serious effort. Basically 1200m of scrambling with 70lbs packs plus 10l (22lbs) of water just in case something happened. Either way, we figured that day alone we burned ~7500 calories (9 hours of non stop bushwacking then scrambling). Most days we figure were 2000 calories with the occasional 4000 calorie day (hike out). What I am getting at is that you burn a f. load on sheep hunts. Ideally, you aren't hiking that much and you are glassing most of the time. It doesn't always work out that way, especially if it is your first time in an area and you are trying to get a lay of the land.

So with that in mind, we both lost a lot of weight. I lost about 8lbs and he lost 12. We were both very fit (100 days of aggressive mountain biking last year). We found that all we were ever talking about was food. We had ~2000 calories a day in a similar meal plan as noted here: oatmeal (2) w extra honey, starbucks vias, dried fruit/nuts/candy/jerky mix, energy bars, rehydration crystals, mountain house for dinner, and a bunch of instant noodles/bagged peanut butter for lunch on bigger days.

I don't go sheep hunting to get in shape or lose fat so this year will be much higher calorie (3000/day with an extra 750 calories for half the days). Some things that did work out really well were premixing couscous with curry powder and dried veggies. It was nice to have a real meal opposed to mountain house (I think all freeze dried meals are absolutely disgusting except when flat out exhausted).

We recently started trying out other options. Dried potato flakes w bacon bits and dried green onions. Add a pack of gravy. That's a real quick snack that fills you up fairly well and can be done at lunch if you are hungry and have a big push to go.

Other things I will bring more of: Jerky (1/2 pp/pd, chocolate, more peanut butter, more instant noodles (much better varieties than mr noodles if you can get to an asian grocer), some bagged tuna, dense rye bread, butter/oil, flour/baking/salt soda mix (bannock).

I'm willing to add 5lbs of weight for super high density foods.

One goes sheep hunting on their vacation so they may as well bring some good food!

Check out "moose goo" It is corn flour, honey and peanut butter mixed together. It tastes great, packs pretty well and is crazy high in calories/protein/fat. I often eat it with dry tortillas or pita bread.

http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/moosegoo.html