Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just a backpacking food thread sheep hunt

Re: Just a backpacking food thread sheep hunt

Quote Originally Posted by mudbud View Post
    Typical day for me:

Breakfast - dried fruit, choc coffee beans, fig newton bar - if I ever eat another pack of oatmeal it will be too soon, plus it saves on needing to cook
    Lunch, choc bar (better than most protein or energy bars), cliff bar, trailmix, jerky, fruit bar, hard cheese and dry sausage and pita
    Dinner, homemade dehydrated meals, best thing I ever did, you actually look forward to dinner, and actually eat it all. I found most of those Mountain House meals so bad I threw half the meal away every night, plus they are grossly overpriced.

Oysters must be popular, I seem to find the cans everywhere.....
    How you making these homemade dehydrated meals? I'm real interested in doing this myself. Definitely get gut rot from all the salt in mountain house.

Quote Originally Posted by RoverHound View Post
    How you making these homemade dehydrated meals? I'm real interested in doing this myself. Definitely get gut rot from all the salt in mountain house.
    Pretty easy actually, Sidekicks come out to about 5 oz when dehydrated, lots of good recipes to be made with Mr Noodles (not the seasoning). A can of Libby's brown beans weighs 1 lb out of the can but comes in at 5 oz when dehydrated, just add some water and dehydrated veggies etc.. I keep my food in a ziplok then add water and eat it out of the bag. Im not a fan of the mountain house, ill eat it but prefer to make my own. Buy a dehydrator (I just picked one up at Canadian tire foe 55 bucks as mine died) and start playing with recipes
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Quite enjoy MH, pretty sure it's freeze dried not dehydrated? Tough to get similar characteristics just dehydrating I'd think. Anyway I'll leave that to the professionals for now, homemade jerky is all I'd DIY...

Home dehydrated is very easy. Make yourself chilli for dinner, exactly how you normally would, but try to keep the big chunks down to a minimum, dehydrate the leftovers, put in ziplocks in the freezer, they last forever. Do the same thing with spaghetti, kraft dinner with sausage, sidekicks, thick soups dehydrate very well, rice meals dehydrate well, can add chicken, tuna etc.

Another bonus is you don't have a 1 oz tinfoil bag and oxygen absorber to deal with either.

To rehydrate I throw my meal (for 2) in a titanium pot, put in just enough water to cover. I usually let it sit for awhile to minimize cooking time. Set up the tent and get all that ready, then cook dinner. 1 Esbit tablet will usually cook a meal for 2 of us.

My feed bag usually consist of (per day)

Breakfast:
    1 vector bar
    1 powerbar

Lunch:
    Beef Jerkey
    Cliff Block Shots
    Snickers bar
    Dried cranberries
    Ritter sport bar

Dinner:
    Mountain House

I also toss in a couple itchiban for those cold wet days, seems to bring up the morale. I may also go from emergen-c to milo sport... not sure yet

I mAy switch from cranberries to bananna chips. Been also thinking pretty seriously on a small thing of peanut butter.

I always seem to have a craving for coke and A&W whenever I get off a mountain. So I usually have a bottle of coke back at the vehicle.

Typical for myself each day
    1 oatmeal - handful of sliced almond and apricots
    1 coffee (Starbucks pouches)

lunch -
    trail mix
    Jerky
    2 bars (cliff/pro bar)
    ichiban noodles ( has 400 cal compared to mr noodles which has 100)

dinner
    mounttain house ( chicken Saigon, Jamaican bbq chicken, sweet sour pork) anything over 800 calories per meal

extras nuun tablets and e-mergenc packets. I like the mixture of both to change it up and give different nutrients
    dark chocolate or some Candy.

Approx 1.2 lbs per day. I've done it without taking the ichiban noodles but it's great having the extra energy and food. Also depending on the time of hunt ill take only 1 ichiban per 2 days.

surprised no one has mentioned whey protein . That's a standard for us . enough protein to make sure your body can repair is essential.
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

oh by the way . Emergen -C Acai berry 1000mg packets box of 30 .. So good !. Way better than the Orange .
    " Never tell me the Odds "

good to see what others like & use.

Each day

MH breakfast & dried fruit
    granola with nuts & fruit

Lunch

energy bar
    jerky
    emergen-c
    snickers
    trailmix (nuts, seeds & fruit)