Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Just a backpacking food thread sheep hunt

Re: Just a backpacking food thread sheep hunt

Hmmm maybe I need the fair share mug 2, I just been reusing freeze dried meal bag...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Hmmm maybe I need the fair share mug 2, I just been reusing freeze dried meal bag...

You can buy 5mm bags from 72hours.ca, I have a vacuum packer, buy these bags and repack the #10 cans, into personal meals

I understand the oatmeal haters but I still enjoy a nice warm breakfast after waking up from a chilly tent. I pack the typical mountain house meals per day. One thing i really enjoy is the Idaho powder potatoes they are really filling and taste great. Also pack the same most trail mix and cliff bars during the day.

• chocolate coconut chews, mango pomegranate chews, reese mini cups, 147kal per oz (turns into an unappetizing smashed bag of chocolate shit, likely will change this one out in future)
    • Trail Mix with almonds, cashews, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, chocolate almonds, & chocolate acai berries, 142kal per oz
    • Cliff Bar, nut butter filled, 127kal per oz
    • dry salami, 120kal per oz
    • Lipton chicken cup a soup, 115kal per oz (nice to cook up midday when glassing)
    • Cliff Builder protein bar, 113kal per oz
    • Mtn House dinner, various, avg is approx 77kal per oz

Coming in at 1.4lbs per day (w/ MH) , 2680 kcal . Approx breakdown of 28% fats, 56% carbs, 16% protein
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

For anything less than four days / three nights I like cook pretty decent meals. Doing so means you're carrying a bit more weight but I feel it's worth it.

Burritos, breakfast or dinner:

Dehydrated black beans and ground venison
    Deli meats
    Bell pepper - optional but they keep relatively well at elevation.
    Old fort cheese
    Pesto torts

Deli meats keep pretty well in the cool alpine environment and can be used with dinner / breakfast.

Breakfast bagels:
    Have you ever noticed the little Nalgene bottles that MEC sells. They come in various sizes, shapes and neck diameter? A bomb proof way to bring eggs- real eggs into the back country is to crack the eggs into these small Nalgene bottles. I can fit two small eggs into the bottles I have with little to no air left over.

Everything bagels
    Deli meats
    Cheese
    REAL eggs
    Bell pepper - optional

Pro Bar makes satchels of peanut and almond butter. They're 32 grams. Good fat content.
    DIY trail mix can far exceed the kal / ounce value of most bars out there. Might be heavier...
    Nuun tablets are a must.
    landjaeger to go with lunch or deer/ bear pepperoni. Good salt content for those high output days.
    Starbucks Via packets for coffee
    Honey stinger waffles are way to tasty and very addictive, haha!

Here is a pretty cool article with recipes discussing the stoveless method. If you wanna go all out in terms of ultra light and zero comfort look no further haha.
    It includes a 1200 calorie breakfast shake. I've been using a modified shake recipe and it's pretty good.
    https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/t...ist#gs.l41NGGs
    ig: mmckimmi

A few things I add is chocolate covered coffee beans and some pre workout powder before those nasty long climbs, really helps out. And salt pills as I get older really keeps the cramping away in the legs.

Switch it up .... last time I brought dried mangoes and cashews and pepperoni as my daily lunch .... for like 4 days in a row. I cant even stand to look at another fricken cashew.

Stipid thing to do not switching it up and bringing some peanuts and almonds etc.

Anybody eating the Solo bars? My buddy who sheep hunts introduced me to them on a bear hunt. Never buying a cliff bar again.

guys does baybel cheese or any similar type keep well out of the fridge?

I want to take more fat & protein snacks and less complex carbs foods.

Thanks!

Hard cheese like Asiago does well for me sheep hunting for 10+ days...not so for aged cheddar. It turns to a greasy mess that falls apart. I ate it anyway on a recent hunt, but back to Asiago for the future.