Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Just a backpacking food thread sheep hunt

Re: Just a backpacking food thread sheep hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious Billy View Post
    It's good to sneak a few beers in the pack of your hunting partner without them knowing. Once you summit a bitch of climb and said partner lets you in on the plan, you've never tasted anything so good.....
    especially if you slipped them into his pack before the hill climb...heheheheh

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    especially if you slipped them into his pack before the hill climb...heheheheh
    Yesssssssss

Too many Clif bars on a trip, it'll be like trying to pass a dry brick!
    Found ProBars at a local Health food store, MEC carries them as well. About 350 calories /bar, no chalky after taste.
    I usually eat two/day on a sheep trip and no issues!

Looking for a good thread to bump regarding backpack hunting grub. I've got my go to stuff like backpackers pantry Pad Thai, couple different mtn house, vector cereal with powdered milk and protein powder, vector bars, apple chips, emergen c, jerky, salt n pepper for fresh oil filter n pump

Always on the lookout for other lightweight choices. Stumbled upon some of these visiting some family today:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...sted-soybeans/

I picked up a quart Mason jar full expecting it to weigh as much as peanuts etc. Light as a feather! Tried a few, these were not salted or seasoned at all and they were pretty darn tasty!
    Looked up some nutritional info and they sound like a good addition to the arsenal.

Also wondering if anyone has a secret weapon for a potassium supplement? Help fend of cramps on those tough days...

Currently have my 12 day pack down to 55# and that's with a 10# rifle but no water. I'm pretty much fasting at that weight lol, usually lose 10# in 7+ days. Fall through a storm grate after HA. Like to start bringing some more lightweight grub.

In light, out heavy

Cheers
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

*****GET A DEHYDRATOR*****

It will pay for itself after the first trip of not having to pay for crappy mountain house meals.

The way I do it -

dehydrate 'base' separate:
    - cook rice as normal then dehydrate
    - cooked pasta noodles (little shells work very well, lots of surface area)

Dehydrate 'mains' as follows and make dinners that will make your partners drool. I did this last year and I could barely finish my meals and the nutritional value was not even in the same ballpark as a mountain house meal.

- sheep curry in slow cooker
    - butter chicken in slow cooker (shred chicken after cooking and before tossing in dehydrator)
    - tomato sauce with large amount of veggies and cooked venison grind.
    - pulled pork
    - stone sheep chili

Basically you can make a meal and toss in dehydrator until totally crisp. I start by putting the 'sauces' on parchment paper until it hardens up and then remove and place directly on screen so it dries from both sides. Dry until 'crisp' and easily breakable. I then pack the mains with the bases in separate bags for each day. It is IMPORTANT to dry the bases and mains separate as they have significantly different drying times.

I weigh out portions and find this is about 1.4 times the amount of food as a mountain house and weighs less with less waste after the fact. 6oz is the total for each mixture and I usually end up giving away my leftovers to the people forcing down a mountain house and still looking for more

To rehydrate, simply empty ziplock into this bowl, close lid and wait for 8-10 minutes. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5050-8...r-Share-Mug-II

Other notables to dehydrate:
    - pineapple slices (better than bad sex)
    - mushrooms slices (add to any meal)
    - zucchini (entire zuc fits in palm of hand after drying, I took a total of 4 zucchini on last trip)
    - yam slices

andrew
    Last edited by Andrewh; 05-20-2018 at 09:10 AM.

Since I’ve recently cut a bunch of stuff out of my diet I need to start making my own dehydrated meals. A recent episode of the Hunt Backcountry podcast was with the guy that has the website backpackingchef.com. Lots of great info on dehydrating your own meals.

I started dehydrating my own last year as well, made a large pot of elk chili and butter chicken then dehydrated. I put in quality ingredients and made two servings per bag - I tend to eat little during the day so I like to pack it on at dinner. Even at basecamp it was nice not to do a cook up but just boil water, add the package and enjoy with a beer.

For breakfast, I prepare at home a mix of Hemp Seed, powder peanut butter (PB2), flax seeds, oatmeal, cinnamon. Mix with water at breakfast (hot or cold) and its awesome.

I bring a lot of snacks, bars, trail mix, etc, as I find I enjoy little bites throughout the day.

Also it's always worth it to me to bring hot sauce with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrax View Post
    I started dehydrating my own last year as well, made a large pot of elk chili and butter chicken then dehydrated. I put in quality ingredients and made two servings per bag - I tend to eat little during the day so I like to pack it on at dinner. Even at basecamp it was nice not to do a cook up but just boil water, add the package and enjoy with a beer.
    Beer in sheep/goat country? Yer tougher than I
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I do run a couple dehydraters, got jerky and fruit dialled in but the meals are usually a flop and don't rehydrate for shit. Tried the smallest pasta noodles too. So far not worth my time n effort