Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Spatsizi sheep access help needed

Re: Spatsizi sheep access help needed

First timer here. Anyone with some knowledge stories good and bad , sheep and goat , you name it feel free to pass along would love to see some great pictures of the area. aug 1-oct 15th 2017 draw 620 A draw , and would like to help a guy out so my trip is memorable, I don't need to tag out to be considered a successful trip. please pm me or email cummings_t06@hotmail.com
    thank you in advance.
    TravisC

Hello, I'm new to the forums as a friend and I both drew Stone tags in Spatsizi.
    Id love to pick your brain on which lakes would be smart to fly into. Somewhere that we hopefully wont see many other hunters whatsoever.
    Buckinghorse lake seems to be a frontrunner option. Any advice is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by 40incher View Post
    Be glad to share any info that increases the resident harvest in the Spats! According to the guides and their buds we "don't hunt hard enough" ... so let's give 'em a run in 2015.

Anyone that has drawn a tag this year can pm me and I will be happy to share my knowledge. I think it is time for resident hunters to start helping each other out where we can ...especially given the attack on our common-property right to the wildlife resource that occurred on December 10, 2014!

I would also encourage other resident hunters with knowledge of the Spatsizi sheep hunt to do the same ... especially for first-time hunters who were lucky enough in the draw this year.
    Hello, I'm new to the forums as a friend and I both drew Stone tags in Spatsizi.
    Id love to pick your brain on which lakes would be smart to fly into. Somewhere that we hopefully wont see many other hunters whatsoever.
    Buckinghorse lake seems to be a frontrunner option. Any advice is appreciated!

I flew into buckinghorse lake in late july and saw good numbers of caribou, moose and goat on a fishing/hiking trip with friends. I was there for three days and hiked up the mountains on both sides of the lake but had limited time for glassing so cant really comment on sheep hunting in that area. I would never dream of going back there without tags. Hopefully someone can comment on whether or not there is sheep there.

I have not hunted but many years ago canoed the Spatsizi and hiked up to the mountains west and north of buckinghorse in early August and saw guides hunting. Therefore they were chasing sheep. I think the lake itself is the magic line between few or no sheep (south of the lake) and some sheep (north).

This is not definitive. Just my interpretation of several points of information.

How was the fishing at Buckinghorse and for what species were you after? Did you fly a boat in or fish from shore? Thinking about heading in the this summer but info seems to be limited. How was the terrain around the lake for hiking/camping? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

didnt realize this was from last year
    Last edited by Rotorwash; 03-18-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Fishing in buckinghorse and the creek that flows out was excellent rainbow fishing. Mostly flyfishing and couldn't keep them off. Lost count after the first 20 minutes, biggest was about 2 pounds, lots of 1 pounders. There are probably big bull trout and rainbows but didn't get any and we didn't have a boat and did not get deep.

If you or anyone is out there keep your eyes open for anything fishy www.missinginspatsizi.com.

Cheers

Toad