Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spatsizi sheep access help needed

sneg is offline Born 2 hunt forced 2 work

Spatsizi sheep access help needed

My greetings to sheep hunters. I got my Spatsizi sheep draw and looking for advice.
    I plan to do fly in to Cold fish or Bug lake and try trail via Cullivan or Donahue to Ice box.
    Plan to stop at Ice box camp or down south at Mc Donald. It is quite bit of hike. The East side is off limits due to Gladys eco reserve.
    I would appreciate if anyone could point me at right access locations to range. Or is it pretty much glass from trail level and stalk ?
    Also I guess this where other 109 LEH hunters going to be ? Did anyone got sheep on other side of lake at plateau or Black fox ?
    Is Eaglenest range peaks or plateau accessible with horse ? Or better horses should stay at trail/camp level?
    I know success rate are low but I still want to try my luck
    any help or pointers are appreciated

Sneg
    Member of Outdoors Club Antlers and Hoofs.
    http://antlersandhoofs.com/index.php
    Member of Mission Gun and Rod Club.
    Member of Safari Club International.
    Member of Delta Waterfowl.
    Member of Ducks Unlimited.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spatsizi sheep access help needed

I've hiked but not hunted that area so take my words with some salt. First there is no road access this year (at least not yet) so not likely to be any residents on horses up the eagle nest trail That means people have to use the handful of lakes for access. It's always a little busy at cold fish in early August but people spread out fast. Once you are past Danihue pass you can spot sheep from the valley bottom. But it's a big area and Rams could be anywhere. Its a great area to hunt so have some fun.

Anyone have any ideas of what shape the road was in last fall. I guess time will tell what shape its in after spring run off.

Hopeful for some kind of access ....

Cheers, RR

Virtually nothing for road access u basically have to fly in
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

Quote Originally Posted by 604redneck View Post
    Virtually nothing for road access u basically have to fly in
    Confirm the road was not drive able last year past the klappan. Some people might have got past on quads. Not likely to get opened soon as the washout is bad.

sneg is offline Born 2 hunt forced 2 work

Cordillera thanks for comments.
    Yeah, it is actually posted on park website that Klappan road is washed out. I guess it will limit horse crowds.
    I plan for Aug 1, so not to waste any hunting season.
    Member of Outdoors Club Antlers and Hoofs.
    http://antlersandhoofs.com/index.php
    Member of Mission Gun and Rod Club.
    Member of Safari Club International.
    Member of Delta Waterfowl.
    Member of Ducks Unlimited.

I cant tell u about sheep around Coldfish, because i havent hunted sheep there, but i do know nobody will fly u into Bugg Lk.
    I've heard the charter companies have an agreement with the outfitter. (Just hear say tho)

Quote Originally Posted by sneg View Post
    My greetings to sheep hunters. I got my Spatsizi sheep draw and looking for advice.
    I plan to do fly in to Cold fish or Bug lake and try trail via Cullivan or Donahue to Ice box.
    Plan to stop at Ice box camp or down south at Mc Donald. It is quite bit of hike. The East side is off limits due to Gladys eco reserve.
    I would appreciate if anyone could point me at right access locations to range. Or is it pretty much glass from trail level and stalk ?
    Also I guess this where other 109 LEH hunters going to be ? Did anyone got sheep on other side of lake at plateau or Black fox ?
    Is Eaglenest range peaks or plateau accessible with horse ? Or better horses should stay at trail/camp level?
    I know success rate are low but I still want to try my luck
    any help or pointers are appreciated

Sneg

Be glad to share any info that increases the resident harvest in the Spats! According to the guides and their buds we "don't hunt hard enough" ... so let's give 'em a run in 2015.

Anyone that has drawn a tag this year can pm me and I will be happy to share my knowledge. I think it is time for resident hunters to start helping each other out where we can ...especially given the attack on our common-property right to the wildlife resource that occurred on December 10, 2014!

I would also encourage other resident hunters with knowledge of the Spatsizi sheep hunt to do the same ... especially for first-time hunters who were lucky enough in the draw this year.

If you are looking for a topographical map of the area go here. http://www.maptown.com/canadiantopographical/104h.html I ordered mine and had it with in a week.