Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dog question

dog question

what is the reason that so many people get pit bulls. as opposed to other breeds. it's just a simple question, no pun intended.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: dog question

They think it is macho. The dog fits their cool guy image. They think their pot growing friends will respect 'em and the pooch will keep the po po away. They ain't too bright. Just a few ideas for you. I'm sure others will have many more.
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits"
    Thomas A. Edison

"Sometimes ya gotta let your dog find you"

or Wolf crosses. Wild canis + Domestic canis = ?????????

i just wanted something fluffy that not everyone else had. with a professional trainer at my disposal to help and teach me why not. thats my reason, you dont have to like it wolfhybrid

Pitties are actually very nice dogs (in the right hands). It's unfortunate that they are used as weapons by scum bags...which is the main reason they are looked down on as freaky dogs. They are not dangerous pets in the right home. The PBT rescues here in BC are quite clear that a dangerous one will never be placed ....they are saving the breed not saving individual dogs. If a dangerous Pitty ends up in rescue they will be put down....it's not what the breed is about. (which is emotionally hard but the right thing to do)

I had to giggle about the wolf dog comment. Thru Malamute rescue I am quite educated in identiying wolf mixes.... 99.9 % of the people who think they own a wolf dog actually own a 99.9% Malamute or Mal mix. The wolf label is highly used by back yard breeders as a selling factor (to ego freaks, which by the way I am not saying you are wsm) but thems the facts
    A shep x Mal easily makes a wolfy looking dog which the average joe watching disney figures is a wolf. Hybrid is actually not the correct term for a dog/wof mix as they can reproduce a dog/wolf mix ...a true hybrid can not reproduce it's self. In 20 years of doing dog rescue I've only actually seen a couple real wolf dogs...most of just wanna be's, plain old dogs.
    Beverly

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    They think it is macho. The dog fits their cool guy image. They think their pot growing friends will respect 'em and the pooch will keep the po po away. They ain't too bright. Just a few ideas for you. I'm sure others will have many more.
    I'm waiting for jess to find this

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly

A shep x Mal easily makes a wolfy looking dog which the average joe watching disney figures is a wolf. Hybrid is actually not the correct term for a dog/wof mix as they can reproduce a dog/wolf mix ...a true hybrid can not reproduce it's self. In 20 years of doing dog rescue I've only actually seen a couple real wolf dogs...most of just wanna be's, plain old dogs.
    are you sure that a wolf dog is not a hybrid by definition? yes they have equal Chromasones and are not sterile but by definition it would be a hybrid (Remember not all hybrids are sterile) .
    There are a number of wolf dog breeders that have true crosses but in my mind that practice should be abolished as you produce an inconsistant Wild animal . (which is the reason i put "Wild canis + Domestic canis = ?????????" meaning questionable animal as you cannot tell how the genes will be expressed)
    I know of one Wolf /Malmute that produced a very majestic looking animal but not one i would consider suitable to keep as a domestic dog. I even offered to make into a rug but they wouldnt go for it .

hey phil that is the most assenine thing ive heard in a while. . another swift one i see

one: i dont have a bunch of pot smoking friends who need MY dogs to keep the "po po" away.......

two: i dont think im macho because i have pitbulls.......

three: i dont need a pitbull to fit my "cool guy" image.

i can tell by your "intelligent" (and i use the term intelligent VERY loosely)remarks that you seem to know so much about the pitbull breed. actually makes me understand how smart my dogs really are.

i appologize humbly if i "aint" to bright to you either.
    this is the kind of sterotypical crap the breed doesnt need. maybe try some research before you post your "educated" comments
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda
    are you sure that a wolf dog is not a hybrid by definition? yes they have equal Chromasones and are not sterile but by definition it would be a hybrid (Remember not all hybrids are sterile) . .
    oh be picky lol...By definition yes you are correct...in reality no

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda
    There are a number of wolf dog breeders that have true crosses but in my mind that practice should be abolished as you produce an inconsistant Wild animal . (which is the reason i put "Wild canis + Domestic canis = ?????????" meaning questionable animal as you cannot tell how the genes will be expressed)
    I know of one Wolf /Malmute that produced a very majestic looking animal but not one i would consider suitable to keep as a domestic dog. I even offered to make into a rug but they wouldnt go for it .
    I fully agree that breeding the two should not be happening.
    Beverly

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Quote Originally Posted by jessbennett
    hey phil that is the most assenine thing ive heard in a while. . another swift one i see

one: i dont have a bunch of pot smoking friends who need MY dogs to keep the "po po" away.......

two: i dont think im macho because i have pitbulls.......

three: i dont need a pitbull to fit my "cool guy" image.

i can tell by your "intelligent" (and i use the term intelligent VERY loosely)remarks that you seem to know so much about the pitbull breed. actually makes me understand how smart my dogs really are.

i appologize humbly if i "aint" to bright to you either.
    this is the kind of sterotypical crap the breed doesnt need. maybe try some research before you post your "educated" comments

I am sure my off hand comments won't ruin the name/reputation of the breed. The dog and the owners have secured the name/reputation of the breed long ago. At no time did I make personal attack on you or your intelligence. I am entitled to my opinion on any breed of dog I choose. I did make an attempt to answer the question in the original thread starter and did not include any refference to you personally. If you have something intelligent to add than do so. Since your an expert on the breed give us some factual info to redeem its reputation that make it so appealing to the masses.
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits"
    Thomas A. Edison

"Sometimes ya gotta let your dog find you"