Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hanwag Trapper Top GTX Boots

Re: Hanwag Trapper Top GTX Boots

i looked over Scarpa for years , i wanted to get some. The problem was there too narrow of a boot for me and they never had my size or choice in models to try on . . i learned my lesson about ordering online and over the border already . im stoked to have the Hanwags . i cant wait to test them out . i have some pre-season hikes already planned out .i will report back a review as soon as i put some miles on them .
    " Never tell me the Odds "

Are you sure there called trapper top or maybe there the Tarta tops ? Cause I can't find them on the site ?
    "A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be"

Fred Bear

I recently bought new boots as well. From what I found, the HanWag Trapper Top's ankle support didn't compare to the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. I tried on the HanWags a couple of times and just felt they weren't stiff enough. The Kenetrek's were great boots but a little out of my price range (@ $535+) and I didn't like the fact that they used their house brand "Windtex" instead of Gortex. It's probably as good, but only packs a one year warranty vs the lifetime warranty that backs the Gortex product. I ended up with the Scarpa Kinesis boot ($369+ tax) as well. I've been using Scarpa SL's for years and love them. I actually prefer the SL to the Kinesis still (very slightly stiffer and better fit for me) but I still bought the Kinesis for the Gortex aspect.

Nothing wrong with spending $600.00 on GOOD boots to go hunting - look how much is spent on rifles - scopes - packs - sleeping bags- tents etc etc cost of trip Good boots are a VERY BIG IMPORTANT part of our gear ! jmo RJ

I ended up following hermits advice and cancelling my kuiu scarpa order. Went with the scarpa mount blancs, we'll see how they work out?

Quote Originally Posted by noth615 View Post
    Are you sure there called trapper top or maybe there the Tarta tops ? Cause I can't find them on the site ?
    http://hanwagboot.com/products/trapper-top-gtx
    Quote Originally Posted by elkdom View Post
    magnums can easily turn your brain to mush,, and there is much evidence of that on the internet !

Have taken my Hanwag Trapper tops out for 2 small walks up the back road and the creek trail . they feel great . , but maybe they will be a little soft , hard to say at this point , but im sure i will make good use of them , im sure i made the right choice .

glad this thread is up and refreshed!

4 days ago i went to valhalla pure in abby and tried on the hanwag alaska gtx, the hanwag trapper top, and a pair of scarpas, can't remember which model

the alaska and the trapper top both felt like BUTTER! amazing soft and smooth on my feet. the scarpas felt good but with a much stiffer insole then i need, but would be great for someone climbing super steep terrain a lot

after wrestling with which pair of hanwags to get, i bought the alaskas. the trapper tops definitely had more support, but they were probably a little over kill for what i would be using them for.

I've put on about 10 miles on my new boots (with a 70 pound pack). first 5 miles there was a light pinching on my right foot. second 5 miles no pinching, but afterwards my little toe on both feet had a blister.

i can't remember where i read it but they say it takes 50 miles to really break them in.

i'll update this thread as i put more miles underneath them, I'm very confident that the small discomforts will work themselves out!

i have trappers and they are a great boot, my trick for breaking them in is breaking in your feet. Easy for me cause i wear steel toes 8hrs a day at work The trappers feel like slippers.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

The first walk i just used my smart wool meduim socks and the carbon superfeet insole , just a short 2 km . The second short hike , i used a Thin HH sock liner with the socks and insole , i dont think i will need it anymore . but i will have it handy . better to have it case i do get some hot spots .i will keep you all posted .