Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: muskrats

muskrats

what potential problems do they cause?
    I was at a friend's property on the weekend and spotted a muskrat in his man-made lake.
    he might be planning to have the lake stocked with fish this year, and after I pointed the muskrat out to him, he was thinking he'll have to have it removed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: muskrats

Pllliiiinnnkkkk and don't worry about it.
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Lots.

Where is the property?- I can send someone to help possibly
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

it's not new to the locale.
    he just bought this place in September.
    I walked around and didn't see any destruction.
    he's mainly concerned that it will eat the fish if he stocks the lake.

They tend to dig bank dens that are both a hazard to humans and livestock. I have never seen one to eat a fish but there presents will increase the chance that otters and mink will reside there as well.

Muskrats are vegetarian and will not prey on his fish.

Where muskrats cause problems is there tunnelling but if there is no risk of them causing the pond to spring a leak and drain water they are not a big issue.

Really you need to decide if there tunnelling may have an effect on the ponds water level and if there is no risk here leave them be. They will just help keep cattails and other veg under control

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

They are not vegetarians according to a few sites

Muskrats eat a wide variety of vegetable and animal foods, including: cattails, sedges, rushes, water lilies, pondweeds, wild rice, pickerelweed, clover, willow, acorns, maple samaras, arrowhead, sweet flag, switchgrass, mussels, crayfish, frogs, snails, and fish.

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/muskrat.htm

Food and Feeding Habits

• Muskrats eat a wide variety of plants, including cattails, sedges, bulrush, arrowhead, water lilies, pondweed, and ferns. They also eat alfalfa, clover, corn, and other crops if muskrats find them in their territories.
    • Although muskrats will eat shellfish, snails, fish, frogs, and salamanders, such animal foods are a small part of their diet, and are generally consumed when plant foods are scarce.
    • Muskrats normally feed within 150 feet of their main dwellings; however, they will travel much farther in search of food.
    • When muskrats become too numerous, an “eat-out” can occur where nearly all the available food is eaten. The eat-out area becomes virtually uninhabitable for muskrats, and only a few animals may be found where dozens or more once were.
    Last edited by Pioneerman; 03-10-2015 at 08:36 AM.
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

I can tell you for a fact as well his real issue will be birds and otters. It does not matter if he sees them now stock it and they will find it.

There is little he can do about this it is part of having fish. Ponds with a good deep drop off and well treed help with the birds. Otters just have a trapper nock them down a little. Either way you will loose some to preds.

In all honesty his real things to worry about is summer heat, freezing over, and oxygen levels.

I have a lot of experience with this subject if you have a ? feel free to PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerman View Post
    They are not vegetarians according to a few sites

Muskrats eat a wide variety of vegetable and animal foods, including: cattails, sedges, rushes, water lilies, pondweeds, wild rice, pickerelweed, clover, willow, acorns, maple samaras, arrowhead, sweet flag, switchgrass, mussels, crayfish, frogs, snails, and fish.

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/muskrat.htm

Food and Feeding Habits

• Muskrats eat a wide variety of plants, including cattails, sedges, bulrush, arrowhead, water lilies, pondweed, and ferns. They also eat alfalfa, clover, corn, and other crops if muskrats find them in their territories.
    • Although muskrats will eat shellfish, snails, fish, frogs, and salamanders, such animal foods are a small part of their diet, and are generally consumed when plant foods are scarce.
    • Muskrats normally feed within 150 feet of their main dwellings; however, they will travel much farther in search of food.
    • When muskrats become too numerous, an “eat-out” can occur where nearly all the available food is eaten. The eat-out area becomes virtually uninhabitable for muskrats, and only a few animals may be found where dozens or more once were.
    When they do take meat it is often scavenging

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

But as pointed out they will eat meat sources so not vegetarian. I doubt most swimming rats will be as fast as a fish.
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."