View Poll Results: Do you think there should be ONE organization that represents all forms of archery?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 52.63%
  • No

45 47.37%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Archery in BC

Re: Archery in BC

So the vote actually looks like 11 to 14, because bartell only voted no to PUT me off
    I'm confused, Rainwater, you voted Yes but you seem to be advocating that the TBBC have their own organization....???

No time to explain statement but if someone could post the UBBC mandate as a refresher that would be nice. Keep it coming folks.

edited by: Cuss Cop........again!
    Tinney - just for the fun of it try making your posts without cuss words, it's fun and makes you more aware of the english language.
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 04-05-2007 at 03:00 PM.

I don't think we should let Tinney join the UBBC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No matter how much money he offers us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rainwater Guest

I esplain, I esplain, I esplain, I give up, re-read my post. The TBBC is what it is, just like a pistol club, blackpowder, karate. We have our own traditional shoots and just like karate clubs they don't invite boxers, yaddee yaddee yaddee. And Tinney, how did you know I voted that way, how undemocratic, I quit voting. Happy Easter!!

Rainwater Guest

Tinney, You tricked us you devil, the poll should have read bowhunting. Archery means a lot of things, 3D, Olympic, Golf Archery, Flight etc. The UBBC is a Bowhunter advocacy group. My vote stays the same however but maybe coyote killer will change is view. Remember Democracy is Two Wolves and a Sheep deciding on Dinner.

Tinney these are the objectives of the UBBC as posted on our website at UBBC.ca

I invite you to take a look at the site and then as JT said tell me what representation look like to you. We want to do a good job representing BC bowhunters. Feedback and opinions are welcome

The objectives of the United Bowhunters of British Columbia are:

1. To foster and expand the practice of archery, the sport of bowhunting and the spirit of good fellowship among archers.

2. To co-operate with the Provincial Government and all conservation organizations in the conservation of game; and to encourage the use of the bow in the ethical hunting of all legal game; and to protect, improve and increase the privileges of bowhunters.

3. To provide and promote/endorse programs of educational value, on bowhunting, archery and related subjects; and to establish and make available materials and information for interested persons.

4. To provide a meeting place for the consideration and discussion of questions affecting the interest of the members of the British Columbia Bowhunters Association.

5. To sell, manage, lease, mortgage, dispose of, or otherwise deal with the property of the United Bowhunters of British Columbia.

Bow Walker Guest

Coyote..........
    To quote a line from the 'new' Stargate SG-1 program - "Now that's what I'm talking about!"

As the UBBC sticks to it's mandate and continues to grow and gain credibility we, as archers, should be (as I am) behind the association 100%

1) It's a public poll, you were warned your vote would be visible.

2) Why should the poll have read bowhunting? I am talking archery as a whole. Would this poll have made any sense if I put it under tha Target Archery board?

I don't know Coyote, sorry. I guess I'm going to have to give it some time and see if you boys give me reason for membbership. I honestly don't feel the need to belong to three different organizations depending on my tackle choice for the day. I have always felt quite well represented by the BCAA but that may be due to my roots as a competition shooter. I feel that the BCAA represents me well enough whether I choose to pick up my target bow, 3D bow or longbow.

Quote by J_T: "The UBBC must be accepted by Government as a voice, as a legitimate voice. In some cases ingrained thinking prevents a new voice, it takes time. In some cases it is a question of respect or perspective. Should an organization like the BCWF respect the UBBC? I don't know. Perhaps. Why not? What is the risk in supporting the UBBC?"

Right on J_T. The BCWF has been accussed many times of not being able to represent bowhunters adequatelly. The BCWF represents all hunters and is more involved in overarching policy discussions (allocation for example), land use discussions, generic hunting administration (Wildlife Act Review currently), etc., and does not seek special opportunities for any one type of hunting. Items relating to hunting opportunities have to be done regionally and the regional bodies of the BCWF are usually open to suggestions but the vast majority of hunters are still rifle hunters. This places bowhunters at somewhat of an disadvantge and I believe the UBBC is needed, it's what has been needed all along, and they will present a consistent, reasonable, and non-confrontational voice on behalf of bowhunters, and if they can do this, they will be the "go to" organization regarding bowhunting discussions in a very short time.

Being recognized by government or being respected by giant organizations like the BCWF is not automatic, it must be developed and takes some time, credibility must be earned, consistency and cooperative realtionshipos must be built, all this eventually will come. Considering the effort being put forth by the UBBC executive at this time, I believe it will happen quicker than most people would think.

Should, or can the BCWF represent all bowhunters? It could if enough bowhunters were involved in the BCWF, but the UBBC can probably do a better job. The UBBC needs to work in unision and cooperation with the BCWF, not in opposition as that is like a mouse attacking an elephant. As relationships are built, as government recognition is developed, and the UBBC shows they can work in cooperation with the BCWF, the rifts will narrow and the BCWF will probably come to a point where they will support UBBC initiatives, respect the UBBC as a credible entity and support the UBBC as a partner and like minded organization. A relationship much like the very positive relationship the BCWF has with the BCTA needs to exist and I believe the UBBC should make it a priority to start development of a positive and cooperative working relationship with the BCWF at the earliest possible time. The result would be that in time the UBBC will be involved in all decisions pretaining to bowhunting enjoying the support of the BCWF at the same time.

Numbers are not a big issue. Bowhunters should not feel outgunned because of the number of rifle hunters. The BCWF is not outgunned in Victoria and considering there are only 30,000 members out of a provincial population of 4.2 million it shows that numbers are not everything. A credible, reliable, and well respected organization with a consistent and non-confrontational voice that is ready and willing to provide reasonable and sensible input to government whenever input is requested is really what's important. Credibility, and keeping in mind that the government will not deal with confrontational organizations, is the key in my humble opinion.
    Last edited by 6616; 04-06-2007 at 12:43 PM.

I feel the BCWF represents hunters. Period. If anyone, as a bowhunter, has a problem being grouped with rifle hunters under a blanket organization such as the BCWF, they are nothig but a divisive force to the hunting community in BC.
    This is how I view the archery community. Bowhunters vs trad vs crossbows vs target. It needs to change.

Well stated Tinney, couldn't agree more.