Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Region 2: Lower Mainland-some big game?

Region 2: Lower Mainland-some big game?

----- Region 2: Lower Mainland ----- the populous area lol.
    Region 2 is one of the smallest in the province holds some good water fowling and some big game hunting
    but difficult access, compounded by special shooting regulations in various municipalities, can be discouraging to hunters. Always check firearms restrictions b4 planning to shoot or hunt.
    Altho coastal black tail deer and black bear are quite abundant all through the Fraser Valley along with bobcat and coyote access and firearms restrictions frustrate any would be hunters. Hunting in general improves as you move up into the mountains coming off either side of the Fraser Canyon, along Harrison Lake and on up into the Lillooet Country. In these less populated areas the deer turn from Coastal black tail to mule deer a much larger interior deer than a black tail. If you park and get out and hike you will see deer up the hills and get a chance at a buck or doe. Black bear are abundant in these areas as well as deer.
    For the real wilderness hunting, there is wild country lying at the heads of Toba, Jervis and Bute inlets and Phillips Arm, and these areas are not too far from the metropolis of Vancouver. Getting there is another story,
    access by boat or plane and not too many places to land a boat except the dock at Toba Inlet.
    Jelly --(Sudden Winds) can rip yah from your anchorage so gotta babysit yer boat.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 04-27-2014 at 05:04 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Region 2: Lower Mainland-some big game?

Jelly-man, you should write a book.

Seriously, I'd buy it - and I don't buy many books.

James

thanks stanway but I got this from an old book already lol not word for word but hey?
    Last edited by Jelvis; 04-27-2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: BC out doors is a wonderful thing

You're going to run into more than that in Toba and Knight Inlet. Brown humpy bears, protien fed and lots of them. Oh yeah, and really big!

MU 2-1
    Manning Park --
    This unit includes both sides of the Hope-Princeton Hwy 3, from Skagit Bluffs on the west to Placer Creek on the east.
    It also includes Manning Park (no shooting) and the Three Brothers Mountain area on it's east. Generally a no- hunting section.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 04-27-2014 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Manning Park in here folks

MU 2-2 ----
    Skagit--Coquihalla
    -----------------------runs from the upper Coquihalla Valley on the north to the U.S. border including the Canadian Skagit Recreational Area.
    Some deer hunting via mining exploration and logging roads. of various ages and states of repair.
    Some blue grouse, ptarmigan with Good black bear hunting.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 04-27-2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: MU 2-2

going to take a walk up depot tomorrow and have a look - maybe a few grouse to be had -and who knows what else, no matter what, it's going to be warm!
    april fool in waiting

wow jel you really do know your british columbia. And yes you shud write a book. I'd buy it no questions asked.

MU 2-3
    Cultus Lake -- Chilliwack Lake
    the region east of the upper part the Lower Fraser Valley -- close to Chilliwack area it starts.
    -- this area is pierced with many access roads some you have to use a four wheel drive pickup.
    some deer taken by mostly locals and up the Chilliwack River Valley with some nice hunting country.
    Jones Lake -- a few black bears, grouse, band tailed pigeons, some elk.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 04-27-2014 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Cultus-Chilliwack Lake -- MU 2-3

You gotta be sneeky to sneek up on the blacktails in the region 2 rain forest when they're not rutting. Hard hunting. Grouse in region 2? I don't believe it. I did see one grouse in region 2 today although it was on the border of region 3 and I think it was lost.